"We was"

< Previous | Next >

Terrorizer

Polish
Hello,
I am listening to some American rap songs.
I have heard this "mistake?" for a couple of times.
They say "We was drivin on Crenshaw and cruisin for food when she pulled up beside me sat off in the 'Lac"
Could anybody explain it to me please?

It appears in the song "Terror squad - take me home"
Lyrics - TERROR SQUAD LYRICS - Take Me Home (verse 1, third lane)
<-----Unauthorized video clip removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lailinde

English-American
    The feature you are refering to is a gramatical structure of African American Vernacular English. AAVE has quite a few differences in relation to General American English.

I is
    you is
    he/she/it is
    we is
    they is

Or like in your example, "was"

I was
    you was
    he/she/it was
    we was
    they was

Kind of a bit like Afrikaans in relation to standard Dutch, the third person conjugation can be used for all pronouns.

Terrorizer

Polish
    The feature you are refering to is a gramatical structure of African American Vernacular English. AAVE has quite a few differences in relation to General American English.
    Does it mean that I can use these as an "official" kind of English language? I mean, can these structures be called "correct" in some cases?

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Keep in mind that they are non-standard uses and would be frowned upon in most business settings.

rhitagawr

British English
    You hear We was/you was/they was in BE. It's incorrect English. Stick to the proper forms. In north England you hear I/he were. That's incorrect as well.

lailinde

English-American
    Does it mean that I can use these as an "official" kind of English language? I mean, can these structures be called "correct" in some cases?
    African American Vernacular English is a dialect of American English. It is generally spoken by African Americans and came about due to the institution of slavery, which existed in the US for a long time. Given this past, it is rather inappropriate for someone who is not African American to speak this way.

< Previous | Next >