We went to a crazy fiesta last night

BLUE1308

Mazahua
Hello!

I'm writing now because I heard this sentence in a movie and I wonder now if the term 'fiesta' is also used in English.

"We went to a crazy fiesta last night."

A sentence a made myself: "I'm throwing a fiesta tonight."

Would that be correct?

Does 'fiesta' mean the same as party/soirée/fête?

Thank you!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    The word is used by English-speakers, but not very often, and it is definitely not an "English" word. Really, in BrE, I can only imagine being used for a Spanish or Latin-American themed party.

It is not like soirée and fête which are both fully incorporated into English, very much so in the case of fete, which has its own very English pronunciation /feɪt/ (and does not usually have the accent). Soirée is far less common and is pronounced in a pseudo-French manner. It sounds rather pretentious to me. I really cannot imagine two happy social gatherings more different than a fiesta and a fete.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Here in the U.S., we have a lot of Latino influence and have adopted many words therefrom.
    Nevertheless, I have not encountered fiesta as a popular or general term for a party or celebration.

BLUE1308

Mazahua
    Thank you for your answers!

The word is used by English-speakers, but not very often, and it is definitely not an "English" word. Really, in BrE, I can only imagine being used for a Spanish or Latin-American themed party.

It is not like soirée and fête which are both fully incorporated into English, very much so in the case of fete, which has its own very English pronunciation /feɪt/ (and does not usually have the accent). Soirée is far less common and is pronounced in a pseudo-French manner. It sounds rather pretentious to me. I really cannot imagine two happy social gatherings more different than a fiesta and a fete.
    Ok, I understand!
    For instance, you would use it to describe a Latin American party, right? Could someone use it to talk about a gathering or a get-together?

Here in the U.S., we have a lot of Latino influence and have adopted many words therefrom.
    Nevertheless, I have not encountered fiesta as a popular or general term for a party or celebration.
    But is it used even though it may not be very common? Do natives say that?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Well, everyone knows the word 'fiesta', but for us it means a sort of party in Mexico or somewhere like that. We don't have fiestas, Mexicans do, but we'd all understand the word, and if we were talking about one, it'd be natural to use the word.

kentix

English - U.S.
    :thumbsup:

Yes, in my experience it has not become a general word in English, even in the U.S. There has to be some kind of Hispanic connection for the word fiesta to be part of the conversation. An average party among people without roots in that part of the world wouldn't use that term.

< Previous | Next >