We went to Times Square

< Previous | Next >

xoticachicaox

English
Ciao Tutti!

We went to Times Square, Soho, Central Park to play frisbee, ground zero, took the Staten island ferry to pass by the Statue of Liberty and the museum of natural history.

Attempt: (Siamo andato al Times Square, Soho, Central Park dove abbiamo giocato il frisbee, Punto Zero, abbiamo preso il traghetto dell'isola di staten per passare dalla statua della libertà e dal museo di storia naturale.)

Grazie in anticipo

Use a readable font size.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    I'm not sure whether its a or al Times Square -- I would have guessed the former (a). Italians?

Elisabetta

The correct translation is " Andammo a Times Square,a Soho,al Central Park per giocare a frisby, al Groun Zero, prendemmo il traghetto dell'isola di Staten per passare dalla Statua della Liberta al museo di storia naturale."

shamblesuk

England, English
    The correct translation is " Andammo a Times Square,a Soho,al Central Park per giocare a frisby, al Groun Zero, prendemmo il traghetto dell'isola di Staten per passare dalla Statua della Liberta al museo di storia naturale."
    Si userebbe il passato remoto o il passato prossimo?

Lee

Danieloid

Italiano
    I'm not so sure… When did they go to Times Square? If they went there yesterday you can say "Siamo andati a Times Square". But you can use that form even if they went there last month, or last year. That's true, if they went to Times Square last year grammars would say "Andammo a Times Square", but nowadays you can say "Siamo andati". Only in Tuscany and in some other regions (I suppose) they still use the simple past ("passato remoto") in sentences like that. But this is an old, old problem, discussed so many times… (sorry for my english!) :)

I'm not so sure… When did they go to Times Square? If they went there yesterday you can say "Siamo andati a Times Square". But you can use that form even if they went there last month, or last year. That's true, if they went to Times Square last year grammars would say "Andammo a Times Square", but nowadays you can say "Siamo andati". Only in Tuscany and in some other regions (I suppose) they still use the simole past ("passato remoto") in sentences like that. But this is an old, old problem, discussed so many times… (sorry for my english!) :)
    Actually I think it's better to use "passato remoto" tense because there is no temporal reference.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Danieloid is correct that there have been many discussions in this forum about passato remoto and when it should be used instead of passato prossimo. I'm not sure it will ever be resolved. ;)

Another question for Peppe:
    per passare dalla Statua della Liberta al museo di storia naturale."
    This makes it sound (to me) as though they took the Ferry from the Statue of Liberty to the Natural History Museum, rather than simply passing by both of them. Or can it have both meanings? :)

Elisabetta

Last edited:
    You're right, TrentinaNE. It means only that you took the ferry at the Statue of Liberty to go to the Natural History Museum. If you want to mean that you just passed by both of them you should say: " Andammo a Times Square,a Soho,al Central Park per giocare a frisby, al Groun Zero, prendemmo il traghetto dell'isola di Staten e passammo per la Statua della Liberta e per il museo di storia naturale."

< Previous | Next >