We were hunting those draws

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Hi there,

What a "draw" in hunting? Here's from a Raymond Carver story titled "The Calm."

One guy talks: "We were up on Fikle Ridge. My old man and me and the kid. We were hunting those draws. My old man was stationed at the head of one, and me and the kid were at the head of another."

Thank you!

• wandle

English - British
    But can I use it like that, though, elliptically, instead of "We were hunting along those draws"?
    It is not an elliptical use.
    This is the regular transitive use of 'hunt', comparable to 'search'.

The police searched the premises / passengers / bags for drugs. :tick:
    The men hunted the draw / valley / hillside for game. :tick:

The final phrase ('for drugs', 'for game') can be omitted in either case without invalidating the verb.

Last edited:

pwmeek

English - American
    Right. I never noticed it before. It just sounded so strange. Thank you, wandle!
    It sounds slightly rural AE, or at least outdoorsman/hunter, to me. I doubt most city-dwellers, especially eastern, think of that use of "draw" very often or at all. It's not a very useful meaning to add to your vocabulary unless you plan to move to Arizona or Colorado.

WyomingSue

English--USA
    We have lots of draws here in Wyoming (and I agree with pwmeek---I never used the word until I moved here). I don't think I would normally hunt along a draw, because if you're not in the draw then you're pretty exposed. There are not a lot of trees out here. There might be some shrubs or little trees in the draw, so if you walked through the draw you might scare something up ... mule deer probably. Here's my idea of the situation (maybe a bit bigger draw than usual--in Wyoming anyway. I think : http://mtnhp.org/ecology/res1200/sid2388.jpg

susanna76

Romanian
    WyomingSue, thanks so much for that photo, pwmeek for your comment, and wandle and Copyright for the linguistics of it all :).

< Previous | Next >