We were playing football for 2 hours.

Bigtime

Arabic
I wrote:

1. We were playing football for 2 hours.
2. We had been playing football for 2 hours.

Those sentences are in past perfect continuous tense.
Are both grammatically correct?
Can I use "were playing" and indicate the period/time. Or it has to be as in sentence #2?

Thanks.

• Skin

Italian
    I wrote:

1. We were playing football for 2 hours.:cross:
    2. We had been playing football for 2 hours.:tick:, although I think it should be completed in some way to really make
    sense: "we had been playing football for 2 hours, when it started raining".

Those sentences are in past perfect continuous tense.
    Are both grammatically correct?
    Can I use "were playing" and indicate the period/time. Or it has to be as in sentence #2?

Thanks.
    Bye

e2efour

UK English
    Sentence 1 is fine, although you would probably have a time phrase:
    "Yesterday we were playing football for two hours." (or "we played football" if you prefer).

Loob

English UK
    Both your sentences are grammatical, Bigtime. But don't have the same meaning, and they wouldn't be appropriate in the same contexts.

The idea of sentence 1 would normally be something like "We were playing football for :eek:two whole hours:eek:!" In speech, you'd put heavy stress on the words "two hours".

lizzyld

British English
    Also, they are not both past present continuous. No. 1 is past continuous and no. 2 is past perfect continuous. Past perfect continuous is used to indicate something that was happening before something else, and past continuous is used for something that was happening in the past and was interrupted. Both of your sentences would therefore need additional phrases to make sense.

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfectcontinuous.html

< Previous | Next >