We would like to pay for everyone's headsets.

au005600

Korean
Hello, everybody.
I watched Modern family season 1, episode 1.
But I don't understand this sentence.

'We would like to pay for everyone's headsets.'

There's a couple on the airplane.
The one made a mistake, and the other wanted to apologize to others.
So He stood up and said that sentence.

Does that mean he would buy everyone's headsets?
(If there are 30 people on the plane, he would like to buy 30 headsets.)

Or there's another meaning?

I'd thank you if you answer this!

• kentix

English - U.S.
    In the old days of planes, you could rent a headset for the duration of the flight. (Sometimes they were handed out free.) My guess is that was what he was offering to pay for.

The low-tech basic ones sometimes looked like this:

bdfduveh8ki21.jpg

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    Airlines that charged money for (renting, not purchasing) headsets usually charged $2 or $5 for the flight. You plugged the headset into a socket in your seat, and could choose between 4 or 5 different channels with different kinds of music on each.

So you were really paying for the music service.

So He stood up and said that sentence.

Probably not. Who was "everyone"? Was he flying with a group of people?

There is no way for us to know who "everyone" included, without watching the TV show.

Ikwik64

British English, originally Australian
    (If there are 30 people on the plane, he would like to buy 30 headsets.)
    He is offering to pay for their headsets for them, not to buy their headsets from them. He doesn't want the headsets for himself.

au005600

Korean
    Airlines that charged money for (renting, not purchasing) headsets usually charged $2 or $5 for the flight. You plugged the headset into a socket in your seat, and could choose between 4 or 5 different channels with different kinds of music on each.

So you were really paying for the music service.

Probably not. Who was "everyone"? Was he flying with a group of people?

There is no way for us to know who "everyone" included, without watching the TV show.
    'everyone' means all passengers on the palne. I think your answer is right. Thank you!!

au005600

Korean
    He is offering to pay for their headsets for them, not to buy their headsets from them. He doesn't want the headsets for himself.
    I wanted to explain that if there're 30 people there, he'd like to buy 30 headsets for all passengers.
    My explanation was confusing. My English isn't perfect, please understand that, and thank you for your explanation.