wear (a) Chanel

< Previous | Next >

JungKim

Korean
The first time that Kristen wore Chanel for a public appearance was at the Toronto Film Festival in 2007 and she has done so on several occasions since, including the Met Ball in 2010 and at the Chanel Haute Couture fashion show in July 2013.
-Just Jared
It seems to mean that she wore a Chanel garment, in which case do you say "she wore Chanel" or "she wore a Chanel"?

• Copyright

American English
    We wear designers -- so she wore Chanel (as a general statement). But if you get specific and say "she wore a Chanel tailored suit," you would use the article.

JungKim

Korean
    If you can say both "she wore Chanel" and "she wore a Chanel", then can you also say both "she drove BMW" and "she drove a BMW"?

Copyright

American English
    With a bit more thought, I agree that you can "wear Chanel" or "wear a Chanel," but in the world of fashion and celebrity reporting, I would expect "wear Chanel."

You can also use it for cars. "My father always bought Studebaker" (a true statement as he owned 13 of them). When you're referring to a brand in a general statement, you can drop the article.

boozer

Bulgarian
    If you can say both "she wore Chanel" and "she wore a Chanel", then can you also say both "she drove BMW" and "she drove a BMW"?
    Sound logic and a good question. I personally would say: she only drove bmw cars or she drove a bmw. I woud avoid She drove BMW to mean many cars of the brand...

< Previous | Next >