wear clothers, put on clothes

< Previous | Next >

bosun

Banned
korean
I have two questions. first is about the differnce between put on clothes, wear clothers, and dress. The second is about clothing and clothes.

What are the differnces and which one is the best one in the following sentence?

Teens try to wear clothes/(or clothing) ( put on clothes, dress clothes) fashinably.

• libre_pensador

Spanish
    Teens try to wear fashionable clothes. (More common)
    OR:
    Teens try to wear fashionable clothing.

"Dress" is very common:
    - I get dressed in the morning.
    - You're dressed nicely today.
    - She always dresses well.

"Wear clothes":
    - She wears strange clothes/clothing
    - What are you wearing?
    - I'm wearing dirty clothes.

"Put on clothes":
    - I need to put on my clothes, and then I'll leave.
    - Put your clothes on.
    - I'm putting my clothes on/I'm putting on my clothes.

I hope this helps!

Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    to put on clothes: placing fabric on your body.
    to wear clothes: having fabric on your body.
    to dress = to put on (appropriate) clothes.

Teens try to wear fashionable clothing.

"To dress" and "to put on clothes" can mean the same thing. I need to dress the children in the morning means I need to put clothes on the children in the morning.

However, "dress" can also refer to the habits a person may have in choosing clothes, or the style of clothing one may be wearing.

He usually dresses like he is going to wash his car, but today he was dressed like a Wall Street banker.
    This would mean that "he usually wears shabby clothing more appropriate for the dirty physical labor of wahing a car -- such as a sweatshirt and dungarees -- but today his clothing was a handsome and expensive suit such as a financier might wear".

For a woman without much money to spend on clothing, she still manages to dress very nicely.
    This does not mean that she picks up her clothes and puts them on with particular ease, but instead means that the clothing she usually buys and wears is attractive.

< Previous | Next >