wear my nail short

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,
I understand that I can use the verb "wear" like "to wear my hair short." Can I also say "wear my nail short"? What else, if any, can I wear something somehow?

Thanks in advance.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    You only wear one of your ten fingernalis that way?

If it is all of them, though, I would say "I keep my nails short", although "I wear my nails short" would work if you wanted to suggest that short fingernails were a fashion, rather than a personal habit.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Wear means "to have on one's body." Think of the possibilities! Wear a diamond bracelet, a wedding ring, a Rolex. Wear boxer shorts, shoes that are too tight, a hearing aid. You can wear figuratively; eg., She can wear an enticing smile when she wants something. The doorman wears a practiced smile which he puts on for everyone. You will wear out your eyes before you are fifty.

ewie

English English
    You only wear one of your ten fingernalis that way?

If it is all of them, though, I would say "I keep my nails short", although "I wear my nails short" would work if you wanted to suggest that short fingernails were a fashion, rather than a personal habit.
    I personally, Akasaka/GWB, wear a short beard and moustache ~ it's a conscious and deliberate decision of mine and pretty well permanent. I have a short beard and moustache sounds more like (though not necessarily exclusively) I happen to have a short beard and moustache at the moment

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I personally, Akasaka/GWB, wear a short beard and moustache ~ it's a conscious and deliberate decision of mine and pretty well permanent. I have a short beard and moustache sounds more like (though not necessarily exclusively) I happen to have a short beard and moustache at the moment
    To my mind, "I wear a short beard" makes sense, because it suggests that as an alternative you might go entirely clean shaven. If someone were asking you about the length of the beard to be seen on your face, though, and whether you ever let it assume ZZ Topp lengths, I think you would be inclined to say "no, I keep it short."

With fingernails, since one would not be inclined to remove them altogether, and since short fingernails are the common practice, "wearing" them short sounds a little odd to me. However, if one decided to follow the practice of 19th C. mandarins and allow the fingernails to grow to extraordinary lengths as a conscious alteration of the appearance (such as growing a beard or adjusting the length of the hair is a conscious alteration of the appearance), I would find nothing odd about "I wear my fingernails long."

< Previous | Next >