wear their jackets <to><at> school

< Previous | Next >

marcogaiotto

Italian
It's very warm. The children are not going to wear their jackets to school.

Hello! Can you help me, please? This sentence comes from an exercise; I think I'd say "at" school, not "to". Thank you so much!

• arundhati

French - France
    Hello,
    We can guess they wouldn't wear their jacket at school, since it's probably warm enough inside anyway.
    But they could wear their jackets to go to school, because it's chilly outside.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Jackets usually means outer garments, and these would be worn (on the journey) to school, and taken off on arrival.
    Jackets that older children wear as part of a uniform, and which they might have to wear while they are "at school" i.e. in the classrooms - are usaully called "blazers"

What is the object of this exercise Marcogaiotto?

se16teddy

English - England
    This use of to is correct and idiomatic.

I suppose this is an example of the special use of to plus zero article to indicate attendance at an institution.
    Have you been to hospital? :tick:
    I am going to college. :tick:
    I wore it to school. :tick:
    He went to prison. :tick:
    He wore a jacket to church. :tick:
    He wore it to prison. o_O
    He wore his jacket to hospital. o_O

I guess that there is only a very short list of verbs (and a rather short list of institutions) that follow this pattern.

Last edited:

marcogaiotto

Italian
    What is the object of this exercise Marcogaiotto?
    Sorry for my delay in answering!
    The exercise is about the use of the verb form "to be going to"; I noticed that "to" that sounded strange to me (I preferred "at"), but now it's all clear.
    Thank you so much to all of you!

< Previous | Next >