Wearing a shawl backward

Man_from_India

Indian English
I was reading a story, where I found a girl and the author was describing the dress of the girl and in one stage the author wrote: She wore the shawl backward.

What does wearing a shawl backward mean?

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    You can put on any item of clothing backward(s).

The tag (from the clothing article typically goes in the back (your back side)).

A shawl (possibly knit, without tag) put on backwards would mean that the opening of the shawl is behind you, when you are looking forward.
    Usually, the opening would be in the front.

As I wrote this, the question turns out to be way more interesting than I thought. I hope that helped.

Last edited:

Matching Mole

England, English
    Is this sentence quoted correctly and in full? I would expect it to say "backwards". Where is it from?

EStjarn

Spanish
    This should be an image of the regular way of wearing not a shawl but a scarf (which is smaller than a shawl but in other respects essentially the same thing according to this source). Wearing it backwards should mean that the ends hang down the back.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I was reading a story, where I found a girl and the author was describing the dress of the girl and in one stage the author wrote: She wore the shawl backward.

You were reading a story.
    If we are to answer this question for you with any chance of being accurate, you must tell us more.
    What story?
    Where in the world is the story set?
    What kind of shawl is this?

Context is essential.

< Previous | Next >