Weather will not hamper [recovery efforts] in the next several days

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from 'The town is no more': Strong earthquake kills hundreds in central Italy

Quotation: Several aftershocks have occurred since the initial quake. Early Friday, the U.S. Geological Survey recorded one aftershock with a magnitude of 4.7. The Italian Geological Service recorded the magnitude at 4.8. The aftershock, which is currently the strongest aftershock since the initial quake, crumbled a few buildings that were previously compromised, the AP reported.

Weather will not hamper recovery efforts in the next several days.
===
Hi everyone. I'd say I expect "rescue efforts" rather "recovery efforts" here. What does the author mean by "recovery"? Does "recovery efforts" refer to pulling out both survivals and bodies?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I would think that "recovery" relates to pulling dead bodies, whereas "rescue" would relate to saving the living. But this link shows other meanings, which may or may not relate to this, as this "recovery" relates to long term solutions:

Phases of Disaster Recovery: Emergency Response for the Long Term - General Board of Global Ministries
    Phases of Disaster Recovery: Emergency Response for the Long Term
    :thumbsup:
    If people are lost at sea, for example, the news will announce that the efforts have moved from "search and rescue" to "recovery" when they believe there is no chance of anyone remaining alive. Here it means recovering (transitive verb) the dead bodies. That link discusses how an area recovers (intransitive verb) from a disaster.

The "recovery" in the OP does not follow that convention so it's puzzling to me too.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In this story, 'recovery' apparently includes the rescue of living people.

This still image taken from video shows rescuers recovering a victim from a crumbled building in Amatrice, central Italy, where a 6.1 earthquake struck just after 3:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2016. (AP Photo)

The picture shows several people carrying someone on a stretcher. Because the people are described as 'rescuers', I assume he is alive.

Packard

USA, English
    In this story, 'recovery' apparently includes the rescue of living people.

This still image taken from video shows rescuers recovering a victim from a crumbled building in Amatrice, central Italy, where a 6.1 earthquake struck just after 3:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2016. (AP Photo)

The picture shows several people carrying someone on a stretcher. Because the people are described as 'rescuers', I assume he is alive.
    In that case it sounds like sloppy language usage to me.

< Previous | Next >