Weaving <-> loom <-> knitting

Sherlockat

Castilian (Patagonian)
Hi there!
Can someone clarify the usage of these compound nouns?
For me they are almost the same thing, am I right?

Weaving loom (a big or industrial one?);
loom knitting
(a manual or/and portable one?), and
Knitting machine
(a small weaving loom for a domestic use?):

My guess is they are to do with their size, aren't they?

• Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    A loom is used for weaving, not for knitting. Weaving uses thread in two directions (one is the warp, the other is the woof, but I don't know which is which), knitting uses yarn. Therefore, "weaving loom" is redundant. I have not seen "loom knitting" as a compound noun. Where did you see this combination?

Industrial knitters would use knitting machines, although a small one could be used in the home.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Loom knitting" would not be a machine of any kind; it would instead be a type of knitting, or possibly a type of fabric produced by the process of knitting on a loom. On the other hand, a "knittingl oom" could be a machine -- although I don't know how you would knit on a loom.

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Loom knitting is a way to create knitting objects on either a circular, oval or rectangular "frame" with a crochet hook. Here's a link: http://radlinccrafts.blogspot.com/2009/02/easy-loom-knit-beanies.html It has nothing to do with weaving, the result is similar to knitting with needles and you can do the same things on a knitting loom as you can do with knitting needles; socks, beanies, afghans and so on. There's lot of info about loom knitting on the web. It's an old techinque that has come back: http://loomknittinghelp.com/

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    There are devices that are called "knitting looms". When they are used for handwork, they consist of rows of pegs on frames of various shapes. The pegs are used to hold the loops of yarn which are usually held on one of the needles in conventional hand knitting.

I would expect a large mechanical device that did the same thing to be called a "knitting machine". These would be the machines that produce all kinds of knit fabrics, from tee-shirt material to fancy sweaters, and so on.

Sherlockat

Castilian (Patagonian)
    A loom is used for weaving, not for knitting. Weaving uses thread in two directions (one is the warp, the other is the woof, but I don't know which is which), knitting uses yarn. Therefore, "weaving loom" is redundant. I have not seen "loom knitting" as a compound noun. Where did you see this combination?

Industrial knitters would use knitting machines, although a small one could be used in the home.
    Thanks for your clarification. As to where I saw "loom knitting" please check on http://www.loomknitting.com/

< Previous | Next >