Wednesday 9/8c [television schedules]

< Previous | Next >

Jessila

France, french
Hello!

was just watching the next LOST trailer ^^ and in the end, instead of saying on which day it will air, they just wrote: Wednesday 9/8c
What does that mean?

It is not the first time that I notice this in tv-shows trailers... They never say the date for the next episode, but always write something like this instead :confused:
Can someone please explain?

• Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    It means that the show airs on Wednesday night, at 9 p.m. Eastern time or at 9 p.m. Central time (both U.S.)

Z.

Kelly B

USA English
    They'll say it aloud, as well: tune in next week at nine, eight central. The show airs simultaneously in both places, but the clock time is different in the two zones.

Jessila

France, french
    Okay, thank you very much ^^
    of course we don't have this two time zones problem in France, so I'm not familiar with that :p

I figured it had probably something to do with that, but the "c" in the end confused me. In France (don't know if it's the same in UK or US), the "slash" is used when writing the date, not the time.
    For instance, today is December 9, so I would write it: 9/12
    (note that if I write the entire date, year included, I could use whether dots or slashes: 09/12/05 or 09.12.05)

Kelly B

USA English
    The slash is not a part of the time notation itself: it could equally well be written 9:00/8:00c (central time). The slash separates the two starting times.

IloveAlaysia

English, USA
    When it says 9/8 central it means that next week, it will show at the exact same time it did this week, which would be at 9 central time, or 8 eastern time. The underlined is not ture of every show, like ones that are just on one week like a movie, it will not return the next week but most series show at the same time every week.

HistofEng

USA Eng, Haitian-Creole
    IloveAlaysia said:
    When it says 9/8 central it means that next week, it will show at the exact same time it did this week, which would be at 9 central time, or 8 eastern time. The underlined is not ture of every show, like ones that are just on one week like a movie, it will not return the next week but most series show at the same time every week.
    you mean "9 eastern time, or 8 central time"

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    HistofEng said:
    you mean "9 eastern time, or 8 central time"
    You're absolutely correct.

By the way, Moogey, the U.S. has six time zones, four in the "lower 48" and two others for Alaska and Hawaii. You left out the best of the lot, Mountain Time.

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    Incidentally, what do they do for shows in Mountain and Pacific time zones? Do they air the shows later and write 9/8p?

Z.

ChickenJoey

United States
    Ok, so now it's been determined that there are 6 time zones. 4, excluding Alaska and Hawaii for now. If I'm in Florida (Eastern) and I see a show that says 9/8c (nine, eight central) then what time would it start in mountain time, (two hours difference). I thought it would be 7, but when my mom watched it, it was on at 8 (which is not central time). Now, I know i live here, but what gives?! How will I ever know what time to tell my mom to watch!?!?! Please help further...

ChickenJoey

United States
    It doesn't though, that's where the confusion lies. it aired at 8! so does it mean 9 eastern, 8 central/mountain/pacific

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    ChickenJoey said:
    It doesn't though, that's where the confusion lies. it aired at 8! so does it mean 9 eastern, 8 central/mountain/pacific
    No, it shouldn't. Sometimes there's a "west coast feed," and the show would air at 9 in NYC and Los Angeles-- but still 8 in Chicago and 7 in Denver.

Something just got screwed up with the show you're talking about. Or maybe you're watching it on satellite TV, and your service uses an affiliate based in a CST city? My service comes with two options for each network, one in NY and one in LA.

Where I live, if you want to watch the ball drop in Times Square on New Year's Eve, you tune in just before 10 PM.

stantheman

Japan, Japanese
    haha...i had the same trouble for a while too.
    when i finally checked out the show time in different time zones,
    this is what i found out...
    when it says 9/8c, it means
    9pm - eastern
    8pm - central
    8pm - mountain
    9pm - pacific
    i knows it's weird, but maybe they meant counting from either west or east side of the continent while the center being the "central"...
    so from the east, it's 9, 8, central
    from the west, it's 9, 8, central
    could be wrong but the times are right, so works with me..
    weird but it's a popular time for tv, so 8 or 9pm works out well for most people..maybe..

mplsray

haha...i had the same trouble for a while too.
    when i finally checked out the show time in different time zones,
    this is what i found out...
    when it says 9/8c, it means
    9pm - eastern
    8pm - central
    8pm - mountain
    9pm - pacific
    i knows it's weird, but maybe they meant counting from either west or east side of the continent while the center being the "central"...
    so from the east, it's 9, 8, central
    from the west, it's 9, 8, central
    could be wrong but the times are right, so works with me..
    weird but it's a popular time for tv, so 8 or 9pm works out well for most people..maybe..
    It's necessary to list different times because of the breadth of the 48 contiguous states of the US. The usual reason that only two time zones are listed is that, in the case of most programs shown on television--live news events and sports events being an exception--a show is first broadcast from stations in states in the Eastern and Central Time Zones. So a program shown in Boston at 9 PM local time would be seen simultaneously in Chicago, that is at 8 PM local time.

Such a program would be rebroadcast at later times from stations in the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones. If the program in question appears at 8 PM Mountain Time, this means it was rebroadcast one hour after the original broadcast. If it appears at 9 PM Pacific Time, this means it was rebroadcast three hours after the original broadcast.

People in the states in Mountain Time and in Pacific Time know what their network schedules are in relation to the Eastern and Central Time Zones, so that no attempt is made to say something like "9 Eastern, 8 Central, 8 Mountain, and 9 Pacific"--or if it happens, I haven't witnessed it.

That's the formula for network TV. Other time differences can occur with cable, digital cable, and digital satellite TV.

paddycarol

Chinese, China
    • American Chopper - TLC @ 9/8c
    • Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? - FOX @ 8/7c
    • Big Shots - ABC @ 10:02/9:02c
    Above is what I found when I was searching for some TV program information, but however I tried, I couldn't work out the exact meaning of " 9/8c ".:confused:

Loob

English UK
    Hi paddycarol

Have a look at earlier posts in the thread your question has been placed in:)

JazzByChas

American English
    As an American, I find it fascinating that a country which spans 6 time zones, 4 of which are in the continental 48 states, there is a rather involved way of televising programs...:eek: ;)

Emy351

Belgium - French
    hum... there's something i did not really understand in your explaination.

so you guys say 9/8c it's at 9pm for eastern and 8pm for central
    and then you also said that at mountain it's 7 or 8pm
    and pacific at 9pm

but eastern it's GTM -4 and GTM -5
    and mountain GTM -7
    anf pacific GTM -8

so when it's 9pm/10pm at eastern it's 6pm/7pm at montain thats okay
    but at pacific, it's even earlier, right ?
    so how could it be air at 9pm ?

or i really got confused... xD ^^

Adge

USA- English (Southern)
    Hi Emy351, and welcome to the forums!
    It's actually easier than you think...they simply delay the showing a couple hours for Pacific viewers, since no one would be home to watch TV so early.;)

Emy351

Belgium - French
    Ohhh okay !

Thanks for your reply :)

i'm glad someone asked the question "Wednesday 9/8c ??" cuz i wouldn't know in which forum to post such question haha, now i know ^^
    thanks

Hi Emy,

Simply put, there are three different versions of this channel, two West coast versions (one for the Pacific time zone and and one for the Mountain time zone) and an East coast version (for both Central and Eastern time zones).

In the East coast, the program airs at 9pm Eastern time (which is 8pm Central time). One hour later, the Mountain time channel airs it at 8pm (it is 7pm in the Pacific time zone). Two hours later, the Pacific channel airs it at 9pm local time.

Three different channels, three different air times.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

Myridon

English - US
    Simply put, there are three different versions of this channel, two West coast versions (one for the Pacific time zone and and one for the Mountain time zone) and an East coast version (for both Central and Eastern time zones).

In the East coast, the program airs at 9pm Eastern time (which is 8pm Central time). One hour later, the Mountain time channel airs it at 8pm (it is 7pm in the Pacific time zone). Two hours later, the Pacific channel airs it at 9pm local time.

Three different channels, three different air times.

Hope that wasn't too confusing!
    You have over-simplified it to the point that you have said something not quite true. The major networks that broadcast over the air have stations (and therefore channels) in almost every major city in all time zones (as opposed to cable-only channels where there is only one). There is not one channel for both Eastern and Central.
    For some reason, only one advertisement is made that is used nationwide. If the advertisement says 9/8c, the Mountain and Pacific time zone people are left to figure out whether that program might be delayed to 8 and 9 respectively, not delayed in Mountain and delayed in Pacific (7 and 9), or not delayed for either (7 and 6) depending on the habits of the channel and the nature of the program (a live program might not be delayed). If only one time is given, they must assume that the program will not be delayed (unless it is the habit of the channel to do otherwise of course).

K4Kiwi

English
    Thanks for this post, I don't live in America, but it's all rather interesting to learn about how exactly the country works. And, y'know, so I can work out when the next episodes of gossip girl will be online...

Natus01

Spanish
    I am hoping that this website will help you understand this Thread. I can't Use the W.W.W and the C.O.M because i need 30 post or more in this website.
    timetemperature

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >