weekend school trip or excursion?

< Previous | Next >

newname

Vietnamese
Hi,

Trip or excursion?

'Pupils who achieve a 100% attendance record will be rewarded with an all inclusive weekend school ________ to an activity centre where they can have a go at such activities as climbing and white water rafting.'

The answer is 'trip'.

But why is excursion wrong here?

Thank you.

• newname

Vietnamese
    Yes, it is. And with two other options which clearly are wrong.

And thank you a lot.

P.S
    I did a lot of searching on the Internet and know 'excursion' is just a fancier word. But I think there must be a reason. Because this is from an FCE practice test.

Hmm, RM, I'd say the opposite. An excursion sounds more or less extended to me, like a scientific excursion to Mexico to explore Aztec ruins.

I, too, would use "trip" here, but I think it's another example of a bad test offering two answers, both of which are conceivably correct.

heypresto

English - England
    I would say 'trip', mainly because that's what we used to have at my schools. But I agree that excursion also works, and with Dale Texas's comments about it being yet another bad test.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Does 'FCE' mean (Cambridge) First Certificate English? If so, that means the questions are based on BE English/British usage, language/grammar, vocabulary and usage.

In my British English, schools make trips not excursions. A 'school trip' is what's called a collocation. A 'school trip' might be a day-outing, a weekend/ four- day, week-long visit; the exact description doesn't matter. When it's a school doing it, it's called a school trip, not a 'school excursion'.

Now, when the school, or more likely the class/year, is on its trip, it might make several ('day') excursions, if the trip is several days long. "Year 5 made the traditional annual 5-day trip to the Isle of Wight. They made an excursion each day."

< Previous | Next >