Weekly basis

< Previous | Next >

aftunk

Spanish - MX
Hello,

Is there any difference at all in meaning in the following?

"I am staying at the hotel on a week-to-week basis."
"I am staying at the hotel on a weekly basis."

I think that they're both synonymous and that either one is correct, but I'd like to hear from a native speaker. Thanks

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I would use "week-to-week" to mean that you're paying for one week at a time without a fixed check-out date.

I haven't heard "weekly" used like that, but that doesn't mean others haven't.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I agree with Copyright that "weekly" doesn't work for this context, but you could certainly say something like "I pay the hotel bill on a weekly basis," meaning "once a week."

aftunk

Spanish - MX
    I would use "week-to-week" to mean that you're paying for one week at a time without a fixed check-out date.

I haven't heard "weekly" used like that, but that doesn't mean others haven't.

That is exactly the context - paying one week at a time without a fixed check-out date.
    Thanks Copyright.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Late crosspost, but I will include it:

It would be useful to know in what context you wish to use the adverbs and what you intend to convey.

On the face of it, I would find "on a week-to-week basis" confusing - it could be that you are staying at the hotel on Tuesdays and Wednesdays each week.
    "...on a weekly basis" I would understand as your having arranged to stay for a week at a time, i.e. either you or the owners can cancel by giving a week's notice.

< Previous | Next >