weep it

< Previous | Next >

annjuks

Latvian
Hello,
Do you know what does the title "Weep it and read" mean?
Here is the article I was reading:
"WEEP IT AND READ

All of a sudden I can’t wait to read Ian McEwan’s novel Atonement, simply because of all the trouble it’s creating for one of my co-workers. One morning she was so caught up in the novel that she missed her PATH connection to Hoboken, and those of you who are familiar with the whimsically inscrutable scheduling of the PATH system will know that meant a long time cooling her heels in Journal Square and arriving late to work. On another occasion, her husband walked into the apartment to find her crying her eyes out over a certain passage. She’s a walking endorsement for the thing. I just hope nothing too bad happens before she reaches the end."
https://stevenhartsite.wordpress.com/2007/11/13/weep-it-and-read/

Thanks

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't know why it's written that way, but it's an alteration of the more common 'read it and weep', which I think was originally plural, 'read them and weep', and came from playing cards. When you have a very good hand (of cards), you might put down your cards to show that you have won: the idea is that they're so good, your opponents will weep. It's an expression of triumph. But apart from literally referring to reading and weeping, I can't see what it's doing as your headline.

annjuks

Latvian
    I don't know why it's written that way, but it's an alteration of the more common 'read it and weep', which I think was originally plural, 'read them and weep', and came from playing cards. When you have a very good hand (of cards), you might put down your cards to show that you have won: the idea is that they're so good, your opponents will weep. It's an expression of triumph. But apart from literally referring to reading and weeping, I can't see what it's doing as your headline.
    Thanks a lot

< Previous | Next >