<weepingly>, <tears in eyes>, < the weeping Mike>, <crying foul, complaining that..>

< Previous | Next >

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

I am looking for word or phrase that describes the act of crying.

Which is the best way to this describe this?

Examples:

a. Mike ran to his father telling him weepingly that his brother had snatched his toy.

b. Tears in eyes, Mike ran to his father telling him that his brother had snatched toy his toy.

c. Mike ran to his father crying foul, complaining that his brother had snatched his toy.

d. The weeping Mike ran to his father complaining that his brother had snatched his toy.

Thanks

source: myself

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    I'm interested to see that the WR Random House Dictionary has "weepingly": it's not a word I would use.

High on grammar

Farsi
    C. has nothing to do with tears.
    Can I use “tearfully” and “cry foul” in the same sentence?

Mike ran to his father tearfully, crying foul that that his brother had snatched his toy.

I am using "crying foul" in the sense of complaining.

Thanks

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Can I use “tearfully” and “cry foul” in the same sentence?

Mike ran to his father tearfully, crying foul that that his brother had snatched his toy.

Thanks
    "Crying foul that ..." doesn't work, HoG. And, as has been pointed out, crying foul doesn't have anything to do with crying=weeping.

High on grammar

Farsi
    OK. You still shouldn't say "crying foul that".
    Why? what’s wrong with it?

Here’s an example:

While most people were busy whining and crying foul that Starbucks could do such a thing to their most loyal customers, I was busy saying to myself, Here's an organization that actually gets it.
    Evergreen
    By Noah Fleming, Alan Weiss

< Previous | Next >