weft harnesses in the loom

< Previous | Next >

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
Context:

I showed him the working model of the Governing Engine. I demonstrated how the chain of cards fed from the hopper and thus governed the lifting patterns os the weft harnesses in the loom. "Thus the most complicated of brocades can be simply rendered as a series of holes os solids in the card.

The character is a geometer. He's sailing upstream on the Amazon, to conduct an experiment that will enable him to measure the earth. How the loom work came up, beats me!! This one took me aback!

Chain of cards? Sequence? And are the plates or real cards? :confused: I don't know what this is.
Weft harnesses? Ornamental patterns?
This an invention for loom work, on the XVIII century. I don't have a clue.

october15

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    On a loom, the warp (what the author means by "weft" See edit) is the thread that goes up and down, the woof is the thread that is woven across. The basic technique is what is employed in a handicraft known as 'card weaving' or 'tablet weaving'. In this weaving, the warp is woven through cards that can be raised or lowered to create a design. Here is one. You can find more with a Google image search for "card weaving".

Brocade is made using this basic technique, with a more complex system of cards, or something that works as the cards do. Here is a monochromatic brocade. Here is a brocade loom producing multicolor fabric. I cannot find one that shows cards or their equivalents.

I am under the impression that the technology involved in producing the design through a series of cards with patterns of holes punched in them was an inspiration for early attempts to produce something like a computer. I am not certain that I am remembering this correctly. See link added below.

[Edit: *I think the author has to be saying weft but meaning warp, or this a variant usage I have not been able to find elsewhere.]

Edit: Link showing connection between computing and this sort of weaving. On side bar find "1800 AD Jacquard's punched cards".

Last edited:

Eigenfunction

England - English
    I've always known it as the warp and the weft, the warp being the threads in place on the loom and the weft being woven across them. As far as I know, woof is generally regarded as another form of weft.

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    On a loom, the warp (what the author means by "weft" See edit) is the thread that goes up and down, the woof is the thread that is woven across. The basic technique is what is employed in a handicraft known as 'card weaving' or 'tablet weaving'. In this weaving, the warp is woven through cards that can be raised or lowered to create a design. Here is one. You can find more with a Google image search for "card weaving".

Brocade is made using this basic technique, with a more complex system of cards, or something that works as the cards do. Here is a monochromatic brocade. Here is a brocade loom producing multicolor fabric. I cannot find one that shows cards or their equivalents.

I am under the impression that the technology involved in producing the design through a series of cards with patterns of holes punched in them was an inspiration for early attempts to produce something like a computer. I am not certain that I am remembering this correctly.

[Edit: *I think the author has to be saying weft but meaning warp, or this a variant usage I have not been able to find elsewhere.]
    Thank you so much, this was very very helpfull. And yes, the card-system is the early attempt to produce a computer.

october15

< Previous | Next >