weight-reducing diet

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, is Hungarian the only language which has a word for weight-reducing diet? I have found out recently it is was used as early as the beginning of 20th century? Of course the Hungarian word is a compound word, but still I think it is unique. Thanks.

Hungarian: fogyókúra [fogy - verb, to reduce weight + kúra - cure]

• Armas

Finnish
    Finnish: laihdutuskuuri
    laihdutus "intentional weight loss" < laihduttaa "to lose fat/weight intentionally" + kuuri "cure"
    or
    laihdutusruokavalio
    laihdutus
    + ruokavalio "diet" < ruoka "food" + valio "choice"

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Very very interesting, you also use the word "cure", I expected languages like Finnish (I mean not Slavic, Romance, Germanic) to use special words.
    It is alo inteersting you use a special word for intentional. In Hungarian the verb "fogy" and noun "fogyás" does mean losing weight, but it can also be unintentional. So you make difference between intentional and unintentional weight loss?

Armas

Finnish
    Kuuri has more specific meaning than English 'cure'. It's a regimen of medication and/or lifestyle of certain length with the purpose of restoring health. For other meanings of 'cure' we use native Finnish words.
    Laihduttaa 'intentionally lose fat' is formed with a causative suffix, from laihtua 'to become thinner, skinnier, slimmer'.
    Laihtua syövän takia = to lose weight because of a cancer (the cancer causes you to lose weight, the weight loss is unintentional)
    Laihduttaa diabeteksen takia = to lose weight because of diabetes (your doctor said you need to lose weight, the weight loss is intentional)

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    I have found out recently it is was used as early as the beginning of 20th century? Of course the Hungarian word is a compound word, but still I think it is unique.
    Not really unique. "Fogyókúra" is "Abnehmkur" in German. (abnehmen = to slim down, to lose weight)
    This or a similar Swedish term might be the base of the Finnish word as well, but I'm just guessing.

< Previous | Next >