weird

kachibi

Chinese
I know 変な and 可笑しい mean "strange".

But I guess there is subtle difference right?

Say, many of us are all scared of UFOs, aliens, ghosts, etc. We are also afraid of strange, crazy people who do spooky things. We are also frightened when we see something like a chair suddenly produces sounds, etc.

I guess 変な is more suitable for the above situations right?

And for 可笑しい, it applies to things that are awkward and funny? Like we laugh at someone's old-fashioned clothes which look strange but amusing. But it is not frightening. And hence we cannot use 可笑しい to describe a noisy chair right?

• Kei_12

Japanese
    I guess 変な is more suitable for the above situations right?
    Yes, but you could also say 奇妙(きみょう) or 怪奇(かいき) for the first and last one.
    And for 可笑しい, it applies to things that are awkward and funny?
    Right, but also for when something is wrong.
    e.g. おかしい…。確かに鍵をかけたはずなのに、鍵が開いている…。(Weird... I have indeed locked the door, but it's opened...)
    e.g. 体の調子がおかしい(Something is wrong with my body.)

And hence we cannot use 可笑しい to describe a noisy chair right?
    You can use it.
    e.g. 誰も座っていないのに椅子が独りでに動いたんだ。おかしいだろ?(A chair has moved by itself though no one was sitting on it. Isn't it weird?)

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    And hence we cannot use 可笑しい to describe a noisy chair right?
    おかしい (it's usually written in hiragana) can mean funny, wrong, odd, etc., but not scary. And it would only be used to refer to a noisy chair if the noise were somehow strange or unexpected. For instance: この椅子、おかしいなぁ。直したばかりなのに、まだギシギシ言ってる。(That's odd; I just fixed this chair, but it's still squeaking.) To simply describe a noisy chair, I'd use うるさい.