Welcome back (at the airport)

eph

French
I saw the previous thread (Welcome back in the school context). Would it be also "С новым учебным годом!" in the context of a welcoming sign at the airport for a returning traveller? Thank you!

• Aranjuez

Hi,
    If somebody comes back to his own place, the phrase will sound as "С возвращением"
    If somebody goes to another place, the phrase will sound as "С приездом", as kitenok has mentionned it.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Never heard and never used myself. Sound strange.

It is absolutely normal and well-used phrase. To those with limited language experience I would strongly recommend at least to google a phrase before declaring it strange.

Last edited:

Aranjuez

Well, actually the question was about "a returning traveller", then the phrase "С возвращением" sounds best, imho.
    But I also can't understand what's strange in the "С приездом" phrase :) By the way, the standard "Добро пожаловать" will do as well (not in the context of ''coming back home" but in the context of "going somewhere")

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    I saw the previous thread (Welcome back in the school context). Would it be also "С новым учебным годом!" in the context of a welcoming sign at the airport for a returning traveller? Thank you!
    1. You do realize the meaning of the phrase "С Новым Учебным Годом", right? Unless you are using "the parrot's way" of learning languages where you memorize a whole phrase without really understanding meaning of its words. Which I personally strongly recommend not to do.

It means literally "With the New School Year". Now, how do you think that would apply to a traveler who is returning to an airport? Do you say "Happy New Year" to a mother of a newborn as a congratulation, just because it is some form of congratulation? No.

2. Both phrases, that Kitenok and Aranjuez gave you are good.

eph

French
    It is my niece who is coming back home from Saint-Petersburg, so I guess it will be "С возвращением" on the sign... Hopefully, she will understand it :)

Thanks kitenok, aranjuez, let's talk and morz for the fast answers!

eph

French
    Morz,

It is my niece who is learning Russian, not me. I thought to welcome her with a sign in Russian because she loves the language... but I don't have any basis in Russian language myself and I didn't trust automatic translation. That's why I asked here in the forum. I will parrot shamelessly the good answer given ;)

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Morz,

It is my niece who is learning Russian, not me. I thought to welcome her with a sign in Russian because she loves the language... but I don't have any basis in Russian language myself and I didn't trust automatic translation. That's why I asked here in the forum. I will parrot shamelessly the good answer given ;)
    if this is the case, sure :)

< Previous | Next >