Welcome Back, Blotter

GiovanniSantolla89

Italiano
Buon pomeriggio a tutti! Sono un appassionato della serie tv "Angie Tribeca" e la prima puntata della terza stagione si intitola "Welcome Back, Blotter". La protagonista è un detective e ho trovato come principale traduzione di "blotter" "registro d'ufficio". In questo caso però non saprei come si potrebbe tradurre il titolo. Magari qualcosa del tipo "Bentornata, routine in ufficio"? Grazie in anticipo e buona giornata!
Giovanni

• WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hi Giovanni,

Although I have no familiarity with the program you are referring to, in the 1970's there was a very popular American television program called "Welcome Back, Kotter" in which a high school teacher whose name was "Mr Kotter" and had been on leave (if memory serves), and returned to teaching. (This program was also where John Travolta got his start as a heartthrob actor -- as a student in Kotter's class >>> pre-"Saturday Night Fever"!)

A blotter (rhymes with "Kotter", so there is some rhyming pun at work there) is not only "registro d'ufficio" but also (and for me primarily) "carta assorbente" for drying excess ink off a document: Blotting paper - Wikipedia See also this: the definition of blotter

Ooops -- there is also this! Lysergic acid diethylamide - Wikipedia

If there is any use of LSD in the episode you cite, then blotter could actually be a reference to taking acid... :eek:

Hope this helps... :)

Last edited:

MR1492

English -USA
    I remember the show very well, WWW, and you are exactly right about the reference (and right about John Travolta, too!). Since it is a police show, I think the term "Blotter" is used as a nickname for one of the characters (I have seen the advertisements for 'Angie Tribeca' here and it is a farce/comedy about New York City police. Tribeca is a hip area of NY where those in the arts live). So, I would guess that the nickname "Blotter" is more about the police blotter than anything else. The police blotter is USA slang for the temporary record of those brought into the police station and what the disposition of the cases are.

Phil

Mary49

Italian
    Can "blotter" come from the verb "to blot"? Meaning "pasticciona"? Or in the sense of "someone who erases / gets rid of" ---> "eliminatrice"?

MR1492

English -USA
    As the show's genre is referred to as a "police procedural", the sense of "blotter" which MR gives is quite plausible.
    Perhaps: "Bentornata, cacciatrice / cacciatrice di taglie".
    JG, I would say it's a little better than plausible! We're nearing 100% certainty here! :)

Can "blotter" come from the verb "to blot"? Meaning "pasticciona"? Or in the sense of "someone who erases / gets rid of" ---> "eliminatrice"?
    I can't find any documentation about where the term "police blotter" originated, Mary. However, I don't doubt that they were related. (the definition of blotter) I remember as a young student, I had a very large desk blotter. I used a fancy cartridge fountain pen back in those days to be extra cool! So, the desk blotter came in handy to absorb any excess ink on a page I was writing. I also used it to keep little notes to remind me of things. It could be that the term "police blotter" went back to the days when the word took on multiple meanings.

Phil

JG, I would say it's a little better than plausible! We're nearing 100% certainty here! :)
    I know. It's brilliant. I just didn't want to go over the top!:)
    And there was still the problem of how to render it in Italian.
    If anyone's going to get them, she will?
    And, given it's about a serial killer /serial killers who target animal trophy hunters, perhaps "cacciatrice" has a certain resonance.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >