Welcome Back

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This is a common salutation for people who return to us, either in the long or short term. Is there an equivalent in Russian for both short and long term. Also, what about the very short term, such as when a person returns from the restroom?

• morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Сколько лет, сколько зим!
    To be accurate, this one is closer to "Hey, long time no see!".

Idioms for idioms.

"Welcome back" is closer to "С возвращением" оr even closer "Добро пожаловать обратно!"

If one wants to use informal greetings, them yes, we can say "Не прошло и полгода/Сколько лет, сколько зим!".

Meaning is kept, yes, but one is formal, another is not.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    It is not used often. Unless humorously. Akin to what Rosett listed with greeting someone returning from the little boys' room (С облегчением! (Congrats on relieving yourself!)).

If a friend goes away for a short time, usually a greeting is triggered by the fact of someone actually looking for him, or trying to address him while he is away. Then his absence gets noticed and it calls for that greeting.

Say, while sitting at a bar, a guy goes to tap his kidneys for 5 minutes, and in the meantime we're discussing some chick's legs. And I want his opinion on it. So I say "Kyle, what's your take on that chick's legs?" and then notice he is out. So, when he returns, I say simply "Oh! He's here!". In Russian this would be "Ага! Вот и он!" or "Ага! Ну вот и ты!" (Here you are!).
    So it is not really a greeting, but registering the return.

Then there are situations where you were aware of a guy missing; as a matter of fact you sent him out to get something, and it was supposed to take 5 minutes, but took more like an hour.

Then one could say "О! Не прошло и полгода!" (Wow! It hasn't been half-year yet!) or "Ну, тебя за смертью посылать!" "Well, if someone sends for Death, he should use you as a messenger".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >