Welcome Back!

Shatin

Cantonese
Would appreciate it very much if you could tell me how to say "Welcome Back!" in Italian and any other languages you know. Thank you very much.

• Jana337

čeština
    Hi Shatin,

welcome to the forums! :)

It is bentornato (for a man) and bentornata (for a women).

If you want a reply in possibly many languages, please open a thread in the Other Languages Forum.

Jana

Rmoosh

Arabic&English, Saudi Arabia
    Ciao,

How can I say:

"Welcome Back, All of the Middle East not only Saudia is glowing with your beauty, I missed you like crazy"

Thank you.

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Ciao,

How can I say:

"Welcome Back, All of the Middle East not only Saudia is glowing with your beauty, I missed you like crazy"

Thank you.
    Bentornato. Tutto il Medio Oriente, non solo l'Arabia Saudita, risplendono della tua bellezza. Mi sei mancato da morire.

Assuming she's a she...:D
    EDIT: he's a he! :eek:

cartaplus

italian
    Bentornata ("Bentornato" if he is a man). Tutto il Medio Oriente, non solo l'Arabia Saudita, risplendono della tua bellezza. Mi sei mancata ("mancato" if he is a man!!!!) da morire.

kan3malato

Italia/Italiano
    Bentornato. Tutto il Medio Oriente, non solo l'Arabia Saudita, risplendono della tua bellezza. Mi sei mancato da morire.

Ciao
    Ma è proprio"...mancato/a da morire o da impazzire" ??
    Thanks

GavinW

British English
    Thaks Moky
    But if I exactly wanted to say "da morie" it would be "like die" in that sentence?
    Actually, you wouldn't say "to death". This expression has no figurative meaning. We'd say "like crazy", "terribly", "awfully" etc.
    To death: "He was tortured to death." etc.

Hope that helps.

GavinW

British English

Why "risplendono" and not "risplende"? I can only see a singular subject..:confused:

(Scusate l'ignoranza...)

GavinW

British English
    Um, yeah you would....I miss you to death!! Obviosly you are exagerating but we still say it.
    OK, sorry, I guess you're probably right.
    "Mi piaci da morire!" "I love you to death!" (Or: "I love you to bits":tick: )

I suppose this is fine, although I can't totally convince myself of the fact right now. I need to go away and think about it...:( .

Rappa

italian italy
    Io direi :

Ho dimenticato di darti il benvenuto

Bentornato e' letteralmente corretto, ma a me suona un po'male.

Grtngs

Italia
    I think your sentence is OK, I would just say il bentornato instead of un.
    Benvenuto is not welcome back, but just welcome.

Hope that helps,
    G

LBR

English (uk)
    Allora 'il' invece di 'un' - si, 'welcome back' e 'welcome' hanno significati diversi anche in inglese.

Grazie Rappa e Grtngs.

Parco Cuma

Australia, English
    Hi, a friend of mine just returned from Italy and I was hoping to send him an email asking about his trip. How would I say, "Welcome back! How was your trip to Italy?"

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Welcome back is explained above. For How was your trip to Italy? I would suggest: Com'è andato il tuo viaggio in Italia?

But you might want to wait for some native speakers (who most likely are asleep now. ;))

Welcome to WRF. :)

Elisabetta

kdl77

Italy, Italian
    Welcome back is explained above. For How was your trip to Italy? I would suggest: Com'è andato il tuo viaggio in Italia?

But you might want to wait for some native speakers (who most likely are asleep now. ;))

Welcome to WRF. :)

Elisabetta
    Hi! I'm awaken (and working... :(), so I can say that your suggestion is perfect. Bye!

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    It is perfectly clear that bentornato/a is the expression with which to greet someone who has returned from a vacation, business trip etc.

Is it also appropriate for the following figurative examples?

1. A person has wandered mentally on whether or not to continue in a job/position and finally decides that he wants to stay. His colleagues show their pleasure by greeting him "welcome back, John!"

2. A friendship has been interrupted by a dispute but the friends finally decide to patch things up. One friend greets the other in joy "welcome back, John!"

Azazel81

Italy - Italian
    As far as I can tell, it works for example nr 1, but not for example nr 2. Mainly because in example nr 1 there is a situation where this "John" was momentarily gone and then came back to his job.

In example 2, on the contrary there is no real come back, therefore we don't say "bentornato, John".
    We would probably say just "pace fatta, John". I can't honestly think of anything closer to that meaning in Italian.

Azazel81

Italy - Italian
    "Pace fatta" sounds very good to me. Thank you Azazel!
    You're more than welcome K-Georgiadis. ;-)
    I'm confident you also know that "pace fatta" means something like "peace" (more precisely is "peace is done"). Sometimes you can hear 2 people saying just "pace". ;-)

miri

Italy/Italian
    Have I misunderstood? KG was talking of a person who had been mentally wandering on whether to leave or stay. I wouldn't use "bentornato/a" in that case. I'd say "sono contenta che tu abbia deciso di restare"/"felice che tu rimanga".

miri

Italy/Italian
    Thank you, Georg :) Then, if he hasn't actually left his workplace, "bentornato" does not work, in my opinion.
    You might use it jokingly when someone gets back to you after having been lost in his thoughts ...

malaini

Swedish
    Ciao!
    "Bentornato/a" è l'espressione corretta anche quando si vuol dire "you are always welcome back", cioè nel tempo futuro?
    Grazie!

< Previous | Next >