Welcome by John

laborama

Italian
"Welcome by John" is certainly incorrect? <-----Question from original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Or is a possible, eligible alternative of "Welcome from John".

Thanks,
G. from Italy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Welcome Laborama. We need to know in what situation you want to use these phrases to be able to give you the best answer. Are you saying this or is it a written heading?

laborama

Italian
    Hello Franco-filly. It is a phrase that serves to shorten the concept, more an heading than a speech. After "Welcome by John" does not follow any other word.

It is a sentence only written.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Well, it's certainly not a sentence (no verb, incomplete message...). I cannot think of a context where it would fit. But then, on this website it's your responsibility to give us a context.

laborama

Italian
    Hello Keith. I try to explain with an example:
    John has a web page. He welcomes his visitors and writes the title "Welcome by John", instead of "Welcome from John". Is it an error, or is it a right expression?

sdgraham

USA English
    "Welcome by John" suggests it's the name of a commercial business that provides welcoming services for new residents, etc. by providing local discount coupons, balloons, etc.

Is that what you mean??

Myridon

English - US
    He welcomes his visitors
    If you were welcoming visitors, you wouldn't say "laborama welcomes you" or "welcome by laborama". You would say "I welcome you" or just "Welcome."
    To have John speak to his visitors as if he were not John seems odd and unfriendly.

laborama

Italian
    I'm realizing a "url shortener" and I regestered in addition to wlc.to, which is the preferential domain, also wlc.by. As far as I understand, the second does not sound like a friendly Url, so it would be useless to add it to the brand. Hoping that wlc is an understandable substitute for "welcome".

laborama

Italian
    In context, perhaps. For example: Wlc to our city.
    The context is characterized by names like ow.ly, bit.ly, is.gd, u.to, cutt.us, yourls.org, scrnch.me etc.
    Wlc.to would be prevalently addressed to places. But it is true, I had already found that it was not very usual.

< Previous | Next >