Welcome in!

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
There is a chain store that has a branch near us and the "sales associate" closest to the door will greet shoppers with the phrase "Welcome in!" as they enter. I had never heard such a greeting before (with "in") and wondered if it is a new trend or simply a local anomaly. Has it surfaced anywhere else?

• london calling

UK English
    That is a new one on me, too. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Welcome derives from the Old Norse Velkommin (source: The Oxford Dictionaries online)?

Edit. That said, up to a few years ago (when it burned down...) my local pub in London was called "The Welcome Inn".

Last edited:

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    It hasn't hit this portion of the east coast yet, and with any luck it won't ever make it over the Sierras....

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I've never heard it. It could well be an idiosyncrasy of one particular greeter in one particular store. (It's good to have hope!)
    That was my hope the first time I heard it.:D However, I've been there perhaps five times recently and I don't think it was the same person each time. It may be just the branch manager's idea, however... I am encouraged by the responses.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think it is the branch manager's idea and he/she thought it would be clever to have a portmanteau of 'Welcome!' and 'Come in!' If all the greeters say this, it's clear to me that they have been told to say this.

< Previous | Next >