welcome or welcomes

Faster

ITALIA, ITALIANO
Hi guys, how would I say: " Microsoft welcome you....or Microsoft welcomes you....". I found on their web-site a title saying Microsoft welcomes Delaware...but I guess it's un-correct.
I'm waiting comments from mothertongue, Americans and English.
Ciao
Davide

• b1947420

British English
    Hi guys, how would I say: " Microsoft welcome you....or Microsoft welcomes you....". I found on their web-site a title saying Microsoft welcomes Delaware...but I guess it's un-correct.
    Ciao
    Davide
    Interesting!
    "Microsoft welcomes" but "Microsoft extends / offers a welcome"

Trisia

Romanian
    As a special bonus you also get comments from non-native speakers :D

I'd like to know why you think it's not correct.

Is it because you see "Microsoft" as a collective noun?
    Microsoft (the company) - welcomes...
    The people at Microsoft welcome...

From the sticky on top of the forum: Collective nouns- Do they require singular or plural verbs?

Or is there something else that makes you think so?

Faster

ITALIA, ITALIANO
    Hi Trisia, it is a school memory,...company's name are traeated like plural noun. I checked some posts here finding out that both in AE and UK English, organizations are treated either as singular or plural nouns. There are doubts on the matter and seems like either ways ( welcome or welcomes ) are correct.
    ciao
    Davide

Forero

In the case of Microsoft, I think it is always singular, being more a brand name (product label) than the name of an organization. With "Microsoft Corporation", you might have a choice.

Faster

ITALIA, ITALIANO
    The idea I got from the sources is the following:

- if you are speaking of a company like a comunity of people, it is treated like a plural noun. So in this case if Microsoft people wish to offer their welcome to Delaware, it is a plural noun and the sentence is Microsoft welcome Delaware.

- if you are speaking of a firm with reference to the being of the company itself, it is a single noun. For example: " Microsoft has released 3rd quarter financial report.....".

Ciao
    Davide

abenr

English, USA
    Ciao
    Davide
    Collective nouns are treated differently in the US and the UK. In the US, we treat them as singular (in most cases, of course). Hence, Microsoft welcomes is what you'd hear. In the UK, they are treated as plural. Hence, Microsoft welcome would be correct.

Take care,
    Abenr

< Previous | Next >