welcome the teachers to leave

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
We know "welcome" can be followed by an object, for example, they come out to welcome me." But can we say “welcome the teachers to leave"? I don't know if the structure "welcome somebody to do something" is grammatically right.
Thank you very much!!!!!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Not really. It can be followed by an infinitive, but that's usually in the expression 'You're welcome to __', for example 'You're welcome to leave if you don't like it' or 'You're welcome to try for yourself if you don't believe me.' (This is often rather impolite, as in my examples.) But if he says, 'You're welcome to leave', we wouldn't report that by saying, :thumbsdown: 'He welcomed them to leave.'

longxianchen

chinese
    Oh,thank you. But how do we say in the situation( a group of teachers are leaving after attending an open lesson of lecturer. the lecturer then asks his students to welcome them so see them off)?
    we only say "The teachers are leaving. let's welcome"?

Last edited:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    You welcome them when they arrive, not when they leave. You can welcome them on their arrival, but not :cross:welcome them for arriving. That is, it doesn't work like 'thank' or 'congratulate'.

longxianchen

chinese
    Oh. Seems I have made a big mistake tonight. When the teachers who had finishing listening to my lesson was leaving, I said to my students "let's welcome the teachers to leave". I'm so embrassed now. Thank you very much

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We all make mistakes from time to time, especially when attempting to express ourselves in a different language. For next time, something like "we thank the teachers for joining us this evening" would be okay. Or, depending on how formal you need/want to be: [To the teachers] "Thank you for joining us. We would like very much to welcome you back for another visit."

longxianchen

chinese
    Thanks a lot. Can we not say "welcome", when a meeting attender leaves the meeting, or a guest leaves , or a prize winner leave the platform?

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    Thanks again. It seems that we can't "welcome him" when a meeting attender is leaving, but we can applaud for his attending when he is leaveing. Is that right? The reason why I am confused is that here we "welcome" people, no matter they come or go.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thanks again. It seems that we can't "welcome him" when a meeting attender is leaving, but we can applaud for his attending when he is leaveing. Is that right? The reason why I am confused is that here we "welcome" people, no matter they come or go.
    Absolutely :thumbsup:

(It's hard to "forget" one's native language, but it's necessary :))

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It occurs to me that there's one way you can use the word "welcome" when guests are leaving, something like: "Please come back to visit us again. You will always be welcome here." (Note that this is not using the word as a greeting, as when someone is arriving, but as an adjective.)

< Previous | Next >