Welcome to Chongqing. How do you like it/Chongqing?

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering which one is more idiomatic:

1)"Welcome to Chongqing. How do you like Chongqing?."

2)"Welcome to Chongqing. How do you like it?."

Thoughts and context: A told B that he welcomed B to Chongqing and asked him what he thought of Chongqing. I just thought "it" here is not as natural as "Chongqing".

• lingobingo

English - England
    Using "it" sounds more natural than repeating the place name. But another way people might say it is: "I hope you like it here."

sound shift

English - England
    Because A is saying "Welcome", it appears that B has only just arrived in Chongqing, in which case B hasn't had time to form an opinion of the city - so it's a bit early to ask "How do you like it?" In the circumstances, lingobingo's "I hope you like it here" would be much more suitable.

Sun14

Chinese
    Using "it" sounds more natural than repeating the place name. But another way people might say it is: "I hope you like it here."
    Because A is saying "Welcome", it appears that B has only just arrived in Chongqing, in which case B hasn't had time to form an opinion of the city - so it's a bit early to ask "How do you like it?" In the circumstances, lingobingo's "I hope you like it here" would be much more suitable.
    Got it. Thank you so much.

< Previous | Next >