Welcome to Chongqing.

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

If someone comes to my city (Chongqing), I guess I can say to him in person “Welcome to Chongqing”. But I wonder if I can also say “Welcome to Chongqing” to express the desire that I want him to come to visit my city to be my guest?

Thanks a lot

• peter199083

Mandarin
    I would say 'You will be welcomed in Chongqing.', using 'welcome' as a verb instead as an adjective.

Last edited:

Yichen

Chinese
    Hello everyone,

Please let me cut in.
    Suppose now you're in New York, and I am in Shenzhen, China.
    I hope you can visit Shenzhen when it is convenient for you, then

Welcome to visit my school.
    Welcome to my school

Are they correct?
    (I am not sure if I've understood the above posts.)

Many thanks.

Silver

Hi Yichen.

I forget if I pestered someone privately about this question six years ago because as a naughty man, I always seeked confirmation from native speakers if my questions had't been answered. And I took a look at the thread list of "You're welcome" and I found this one. I think Parla and Language Hound had perfectly answered the questions there and the answers would be the same to your questions.

I don't think "Welcome to....", your both versions are okay unless the person you're talking with is in Shenzhen.

Let's wait for some native speakers.

Silver

Even if the person is in Shenzhen, you'd only say "Welcome to my school" if he was actually at the school.
    This is absolutely right. Let's say Barque you're in your home country and I hope you can travel to China to be my guest. I think I can only say "You're welcome to come to China", "You're welcome to visit China". I don't think "Welcome to China" is okay to be said when Barque's still in his home country. Am I right? If I understand correctly, that's Yichen's question.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I don't think "Welcome to China" is okay to be said when Barque's still in his home country.
    That's a little different. If I said I'd booked my ticket and I was going to get there in a couple of days, you could say "Welcome to China". But a school is a much more "specific" place. "Welcome to my school" doesn't sound like something you'd say before the person actually got to the school.

But yo wouldn't say "Welcome to China" to mean "Please visit China" or "I hope you'll visit China".

Yichen

Chinese
    Thank you for the confirmation. Barque and Silver.

If Silver (in Chongqing) just called me and told me that he will come to visit my school, Barque, I think I could can also say "Welcome to my school, Silver." Correct? :)

< Previous | Next >