Welcome to Fresno, love the Chamber of Commerce

csicska

hungarian
Hello. In a video starring a comedian Fluffy, he was saying that he wanted to pull a messed up joke on his friend (a black guy) by delivering a racist basket to his hotel room which would have all things that are stereotypically assigned to black people. One of the things was a gift card from Halloween with a picture of 3 ghosts on the cover wearing sheets. He tore off the half of the card that said Happy Halloween and on the back of the card he wrote "Welcome to Fresno, love the Chamber of Commerce". Could you please tell me if it was some kind of a racist joke alluding to Ku Klux Klan? His black friend then showed up on stage and told the story from his point of view. Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    Could you please tell me if it was some kind of a racist joke alluding to Ku Klux Klan?
    :thumbsup: That interpretation seems very likely. Fluffy used a card with a picture that looked like a picture of three KKK members with hoods over their heads. He added a little zip to the joke by writing a note which claimed that the card came from the Fresno Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Welcome to Fresno, love the Chamber of Commerce".
    The pictures of children in sheets ("ghosts") was a reference to the Ku Klux Klan. But not the mention of Fresno. Fresno is the city where this joke happened, and a "welcoming gift basket from the city" was part of the joke.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It seems like it definitely was a criticism of the city of Fresno. Either just to make the joke or possibly because some people might think Fresno is really (somewhat) like that.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I disagree. There is no connection between the name "Fresno" and racism against blacks. Have you heard any such connection? I never have.

If the person receiving the basket was in any other place (not in Fresno) it would make no sense to send a gift basket saying "Welcome to Fresno" signed "the chamber of Commerce". You don't send a "welcome to Chicago" basket to someone who is in New York.

But if the person was in Fresno, a basket welcoming them to Fresno (sent by the chamber of commerce of Fresno) makes sense. It makes the trick believable instead of obviously phony.

kentix

English - U.S.
    But if, as you say (and I don't know one way or the other), Fresno has no history of Ku Klux Klan type behavior, then it makes no sense to attribute it to the city of Fresno. The Fresno Chamber of Commerce is an official (or semi-official) representative of the city. Why would they send out racist things to newcomers? It makes no sense unless there is some meaning, comic or otherwise, behind it.

Added:
    - Parents, ACLU demand change at Fresno Unified after series of racist incidents
    - Fresno man apologizes after racist road rage rant

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    I'm not a Fluffy fan and never will be one. However, I think it is likely that Fluffy picked Fresno for that joke because Fresno is known to have a large latino population, just as Compton is known to have a large black population. Long Beach has a large Asian population... I interpret the joke to be Fluffy's way of saying that black people aren't exactly welcomed with open arms in Fresno.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    But if, as you say (and I don't know one way or the other), Fresno has no history of Ku Klux Klan type behavior, then it makes no sense to attribute it to the city of Fresno. The Fresno Chamber of Commerce is an official (or semi-official) representative of the city. Why would they send out racist things to newcomers?
    Who else would send a "welcoming basket"? The joke implies that they are racist. That is the entire joke! It makes no sense to pretend the sender is anyone else, anywhere on earth.

I will watch it again...okay, I watched the first 2:30 minutes. You can watch it on Youtube as "Gabriel Iglesias gift basket" (13:55)

According to Fluffy, he and Martin were driving and passed through Fresno. They saw signs advertising performances at the Fresno Radisson hotel by G. Riley, a black comedian Fluffy and Marin know. They decided to visit G. Then he decided they should prank G with a gift basket full of "stereotypically black items". They created the gift basket and had the hotel employees send it to G's room, with the card described on post #1.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >