Welcome to my house/You're welcome in my house.

ticcota

Japanese
Hi,

Do the following two sentences have the same meaning:

1. Welcome to my house.
2. You're welcome in my house.

Thank you.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Do the following two sentences have the same meaning:

1. Welcome to my house.
    2. You're welcome in my house.
    Almost but not quite, although the idea/feeling is the same.

You would say the first only if the person is about to enter, or has just entered, your house.

You could say the second at any time, whether or not the person is in your house or anywhere near your house.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    While "Welcome to my house" is the only one of pair we would say upon greeting a visitor, away from the building and at a different time from a visit, one could also invite a visitor by saying, "You are welcome to my house." I find "welcome in my house" unnatural as an invitation; perhaps it is the usual usage in other forms of English, or a personal peculiarity.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Fabulist.

"Welcome to my house" is what you would say when someone arrives at your house.

I can't think of a situation in which I'd say "You're welcome in my house":(.

owlman5

English-US
    I was interested in the replies from other members to your question, Ticcota. If you told me "You're welcome in my house", I'd think that you were taking special pains to be courteous. I agree with Parla's observation that using "You're welcome in my house" would work well whether we were in your house or not. Saying "Welcome to my house" sounds more like a standard greeting to a visitor who has arrived at your house.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Welcome to my house <-- used as a sort of greeting when someone arrives at your house

You are welcome in my house <-- a general invitation, but a bit odd
    You are welcome at my house <-- better
    You are welcome to my house <-- odd, in my opinion

I think the invitation sentence would be better with an any time, as follows:

You are welcome any time at my house.

It's also very common to specify exactly what they are welcome to do. For example:

You're welcome to stay at my house.
    You're welcome to crash at my house.
    You're welcome to eat dinner at my house.
    You're welcome to come study at my house.

So I think the reason why the general You are welcome at my house is better with at than with to is that these longer forms usually have at. (The only exception I can think of is You are welcome to come to my house.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I find "You're welcome in my house," somewhat odd, a touch eccentric, quaint, unusual ... ... but I know what it means.

"You're welcome to my house," could be more confusing.
    I don't know if this OED sense prevails in all English-speaking regions, but it is very real here:
    e. you are welcome (to something): said ironically of something one is glad to be without.

Hoosier_Ham

English - United States
    The ironic usage of "you are welcome (to something)" is quite common in the U.S. as well.

One construction that is often used in the States, however, is "you are welcome to try." This phrase is an honest invitation but carries implicit doubt regarding success.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    Can I say "Feel welcome to our house", or "We welcome you to our house", as an invitation, not as a greeting?
    If yes, are they less common ?

Thank you in advance!

< Previous | Next >