Welcome to the Chinese Challenge

flyingbaton

English & Chinese
здравствуйте!

Could anyone help to translate "Welcome to the Chinese Challenge" into Russian?"

It is the title of a TV game show which asks questions about the Chinese language plus a bit of cultural knowledge.

спасибо!

• flying_spur

Russian
    If the contest is about Chinese language and culture I would say "добро пожаловать на состязание/соревнование по китайскому языку и культуре"

vasko705

Is your show is something kind of quiz?

I believe translation everything until the last letter- that would be too much.
    Perhaps- "Добро пожаловать на "Chinese Challenge"- телеконкурс на знание (или -знатоков) китайского языка и культуры"?

flyingbaton

English & Chinese
    Hi, thanks for the replies!

It is a quiz show, but the introduction doesn't need to give a lot of information about the exact nature of the show.

I think a straightforward translation like Добро пожаловать на китайское соревнование would suffice.

Really appreciate your help!

vasko705

I am not dare to advice you but for TV show the name китайское соревнование (even if that would be Kитайское Cоревнование) looks too ordinary (IMHO) for Russian speaking people. The соревнование for me personally has association with phisical sport activity

Actually the 'Challenge' we could to translate also as турнир, поединок, состязание...

Last edited:

Andrey05

Russian
    I am not dare to advice you but for TV show the name китайское соревнование (even if that would be Kитайское Cоревнование) looks too ordinary (IMHO) for Russian speaking people. The соревнование for me personally has association with sport activity

Actually the 'Challenge' we could to translate also as турнир, поединок, состязание...
    I also think the title of the show must be more original and specific. Something like

Китайский тест.
    (теле)викторина "Что Вы знаете о Китае?"
    Китайский опрос...

vasko705

Тут конечно- дело вкуса. Но если эта передача уже международного масштаба, то тогда вообще зачем переводить название с глобально-международного английского языка? Пусть и остаётся Chinese Challenge.
    Если уж так хочется перевести на местный язык, то зачем использовать заимствованные слова из того же глобально-международного английского языка?
    Так что и тест-и квест- и челендьч, конечно, пойдут, но будут выглядеть... Как в кукольном концерте Образцова (Песня "А-ая-яй, кампаниа", что означает "Ой-ё-ёй, колл-лектив" (c) )

Last edited:

Andrey05

Russian
    Тут конечно- дело вкуса. Но если эта передача уже международного масштаба, то тогда вообще зачем переводить название с глобально-международного английского языка? Пусть и остаётся Chinese Challenge.
    Если уж так хочется перевести на местный язык, то зачем использовать заимствованные слова из того же глобально-международного английского языка?
    If it is a real and well-known show (which I must confess I've never heard of, although I'm not a fan of Chinese quiz shows), I also think it could be left unchanged, but since many Russians don't speak or read English, 'Chinese Challenge' in Latin spelling will be completely meaningless to them, as well as 'Чайниз Челендж'. In this case I would translate it near-literaly as 'Китайский вызов' and explain in a footnote that the show is meant.

If however it is an imaginary show (e.g. from a book Flyingbaton is translating) I would just invent another title that could have sounded well in Russian, e.g.
    Китайский тест.
    (теле)викторина "Что Вы знаете о Китае?"
    Китайский опрос
    etc etc

flyingbaton

English & Chinese
    Wow, didn't know there were so many ways to describe a challenge/competition!

These info would suffice for now, and I will post again if I need further help.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and explanations!

< Previous | Next >