Welcome to the new forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkellogg

Administrator
English - US
Hi everybody,

We finally made the move to the new forum software.

More details about why are in a previous thread (click).

Search, and anything based on search, is not working yet, but it should be ready in an hour or two.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong.

Mike

Update (June 14, 2015):
Updated by: Jann, moderator
As explained in post #599, we have closed this thread. If you require assistance with a non-linguistic matter related to the WordReference forums and you are unable to find the information you need, please open a new thread in the Comments & Suggestions forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Congratulations, Mike!

Seems to be working OK so far; and I see you've put in a "who's online" for 'People you follow'. Excellent! Thanks for that.:)

Ws

Last edited:

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    It seems like everyone is a "new member", and the member's age has been deleted.
    Hmm. It probably processes those user titles overnight. I'll check on it now, but not worry too much till tomorrow.

Good to see that the problems are small so far.

Wordsmyth, good to see that working.

EDIT: Got it fixed.

Last edited:

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I already have discovered something that was there (also in the test new forum). You can not hide forums anymore that are of no interest.

upload_2015-5-10_2-12-15.png

That hide function disappeared.

PS. The fact that it shows "French" is purely by coincidence. Don't take any offence.:D

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    My previous remark has already been solved I see.

But, there is another problem with the display: (code page problem ????)

upload_2015-5-10_2-24-29.png

Last edited:

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Ah, that solves the riddle. The ability to toggle the forums is what was causing that problem. We are going to have to live without toggling forums till we can figure out what is causing that issue.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    And another one: the mails that are sent include the post content. I believe that is not what it is supposed to be doing.

PS. I'm going to sleep now. (I hope, because I'm on call)

chileno

Castellano - Chile
    Congratulations!

Now, it is a matter of tweaking here and there... As for me I am a happy camper as long as I can subscribe to threads and have what I had before, just enough to read and answer.

:)

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    I guess the search isn't quite right yet? I just did one and the results were from 2006! :eek: I searched my username. I know I have a lot of posts from 2014 & 2015.

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    When I switch to Spanish (as the forum language) the tabs Rules & Help/FAQs are still in English. In the old forum, they were translated into Spanish.

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hello, Mike.

This is not a big deal and I suppose it's not a priority right now but I'd like to be able to set the thread order display mode so that I can read the newest posts first. :oops: That’s a feature we used to have under vBulletin. Again, not a big deal but threads are easier to read that way.

Funny thing, you’re the only staff member I can’t ignore! :D I suppose you still have to update the staff members list, otherwise people will be able to ignore moderators.

J.

ukimix

español
    I already have discovered something that was there (also in the test new forum). You can not hide forums anymore that are of no interest.

View attachment 15630
    That hide function disappeared.

PS. The fact that it shows "French" is purely by coincidence. Don't take any offence.:D
    I'd really like to have this feature, but I don't see the plus/minus sign in the forums list.

Wordsmyth

This is not a big deal and I suppose it's not a priority right now but I'd like to be able to set the thread order display mode so that I can read the newest posts first. :oops: That’s a feature we used to have under vBulletin. Again, not a big deal but threads are easier to read that way. [...]
    Personally I find threads much harder to read that way (maybe 'cos I don't read books back to front either!:D) ... but each to his own, I suppose (as long 'new posts first' is only an option, not a standard).

One thing I do find disconcerting, though, is not to be able to see the thread posts in 'preview' mode (as we did with vBulletin). As that display was updated every time you clicked 'Preview post', it was a good way of seeing if someone else had posted while you were writing. I guess I'll get used to not having it, but I suspect it'll lead to a lot more cross-posting and subsequent editing.

Ws

Last edited:

swift

Hi, Wordsmyth. :)

I do find it easier because the ‘first unread’ and the newest post are generally the same. So, if I click on a thread's link I hadn't read before I can quickly see whether new input is needed. With the ‘oldest first’ mode scrolling down is time-consuming, especially now that threads are displayed in a single page. But I admit this is just the way I'm used to read the discussions; I suppose I can get used to the fact that sometimes I'll scroll down a long way only to find out nothing needs to be added! :D

Last edited:

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Quoting - It is still there, just different. Once you get used to it, you will probably like it. (Select the text with your mouse.)
    Search - Should be working in a few hours.
    Toggling forums with the + sign - There is a problem that we are working on. Give us a few days.
    Last post first? I never used it, but I see that it is not available. (You will notice that a number of options for how to view threads are missing. The advantage is that threads display faster due to better caching.)
    Ignoring staff - That is what I need to do? Add the moderators to "staff"? I have to do it one-by-one for all 80 moderators, but I guess there is no avoiding it.
    Preview mode - You can see it after clicking through a couple of times. I, too, find it less than optimal and will see what can be done.

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

ukimix

español

I do find it easier because the ‘first unread’ and the newest post are generally the same. So, if I click on a thread's link I hadn't read before I can quickly see whether new input is needed. With the ‘oldest first’ mode scrolling down is time-consuming, especially now that threads are displayed in a single page. But I admit this is just the way I'm used to read the discussions; I suppose I can get used to tha fact that somtimes I'll scroll down a long way only to find out nothing needs to be added! :D
    You also can use the preference features for that. Check in 'Alert preferences' the box for 'Replies to a watched thread', and the site will notify you providing you the URL to the newest reply ofall your watched threads, or to the last one you read on each one. The notification will be shown in the Alerts tag top-right corner with a little number. Is it that?

Wordsmyth

I do find it easier because the ‘first unread’ and the newest post are generally the same. So, if I click on a thread's link I hadn't read before I can quickly see whether new input is needed. With the ‘oldest first’ mode scrolling down is time-consuming, especially now that threads are displayed in a single page. But I admit this is just the way I'm used to read the discussions; I suppose I can get used to tha fact that somtimes I'll scroll down a long way only to find out nothing needs to be added! :D
    :idea: Maybe you could try what I do. If I want to read a thread from the beginning (or re-read the opening post) I click on the thread link. But if I want to go directly to the newest post in a thread, I click on the link to that: in the old forums I used the little symbol on the right-hand side; in the new forums the link is the time indicator in the right-hand column (18 minutes ago, Friday at 9:53 PM, etc). That avoids any bothersome scrolling.:)

Cross-posted with ukimix: So now you have two ways of doing it. Alerts seem to cover only very recent threads, whereas the link in the 'Last Message' column of a thread list is permanent.

Ws

Last edited:

ukimix

español
    Btw, only for you to know that I didn't get the notification of the last post in a thread I posted before the change to the new site.

swift

Thank you, guys.

I use the go to newest post button only if I'm actually subscribed to the discussion. When I read a thread for the first time, I hover over the thread's title to read the OP. If I think I could contribute something, I open the discussion and read the newest posts first to make sure I won't be just repeating information.

The alerts will take me to the newest posts in the threads I'm already subscribed to, so that won't do the trick.

Anyway, I think I'll find a way. :D Thanks for your help! :)

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    I usually hover over the thread title to see the original post subject but then I always go to the newest post and start working backwards. I don't usually go all the way back though. Some threads are pages long. I prefer the newest info to see what I can contribute. It's convenient to always have it there at first. So alerts won't work unless we are subscribed to a given thread. Strangely enough I had imagined everyone did it this way. There is probably a way on the new system, but it's not apparent to us yet.
    Edit: Just worked backwards from the end and saw Wordsmyth's idea. I'll give it a try.

Wordsmyth

[...] Preview mode - You can see it after clicking through a couple of times. I, too, find it less than optimal and will see what can be done. [...]
    I don't have any problem with a couple of clicks to get to it. What I do miss is the ability to see the other posts in the thread (updated on every 'Preview' click) while I'm writing in Preview mode. Now, the only way I've found to check whether someone else has replied while I'm writing is to copy my 'draft' reply to clipboard, then back out of Preview, see whether the 'Messages have been posted' flag is there (and if so, click on it), then paste my 'draft' back into the reply box and edit it accordingly.

I guess the solution is to use Preview only as a final check, not as a 'compose' screen as I've done in the past. That'll probably work, because the new 'Quick Reply' screen is more 'wysiwyg' than the old one was (apart from quoted text).

Ws

ukimix

español
    Actually if I hover over a thread I can read the first post.

About the alerts, you also can subscribe to a forum, not only to a thread.

About reversing the order of the posts, maybe this feature will do it. Not sure if WR has it now.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    (1) I don't see a strikeout icon.
    (2) Can we choose to not see avatars, as we could before? PLEASE????
    (3) At least in English Only, threads appear to be in completely random chronological order. Is there some plan?
    (4) I find some of the composing icons not very intuitive—the one for colors is a major example. Can they be made more so?
    (5) Something just popped up and told me I have an "alert"? What's an alert?
    (6) Where's "notifications" about PMs?
    (7) Any chance of getting the old set of emoticons back?

Last edited:

swift

Parla, the strike-through button is the fourth option in the “insert” drop-down menu (the icon between Smilies and Drafts).

About the avatars, no, I think you can't hide them. You can choose to not show people's signatures under the Preferences menu, though.

I can't help with the other two questions. As a matter of fact, I don't understand the third one. Sorry.

swift

Neither do I.
    Well, my comment doesn't make any sense now that Parla deleted her question about Comments & Suggestions. :D

Parla, if you want to understand the Alerts and Notifications nuts and bolts, I'd suggest that you take a look at the Alert preferences section. :)

The notifications of new private messages (now Conversations) will appear as a red alert right above the Inbox tab.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Thanks for the word on strikeout, although it would certainly be a lot more helpful if the strikeout icon itself (at least that one is intuitive) were on the toolbar.

If we can't rid of the avatars, that may drive me out, or at least drastically reduce the time I spend here. I hate them.

Last edited:

Feline1

USA
    English - USA
    Is there still a "print view" option, to save space and paper for printing long technical posts? It used to be under "Thread Tools," but I don't see anything like it in the new version. Being able to print and save posts is extremely valuable for posts dealing with complex grammatical or theoretical questions!! Most that I know have a "print view" option, so perhaps it is there and I am just not recognizing it.

If there isn't a "print view" option, do you think you could add one? It would also help with the lack of clarity issues in the new interface. (Arabic text is too small to read, but if I enlarge it, the English text becomes to large to fit on my screen).

Last edited:

swift

(3) At least in English Only, threads appear to be in completely random chronological order. Is there some plan?
    OK, I see what you're talking about. The information that appears below the thread's title is the thread starter's username and the original post's date and time. For example:
    originally posted at on.PNG

The first discussion, ‘effectively well?,’ was started by cookiemonsters today; the second one, ‘Difference between using select from/select from among,’ was started by Learner... on Tuesday; and the third one, ‘Choice of venue,’ was originally posted by felixwong33 last Wednesday.
    That information is only relevant if you want to know if the thread was posted recently or if it's an old thread with some fresh contributions. The chronological order is shown on the far-right column (Last message):
    chronological.PNG

Gemmenita

Azéri
    Hi everybody,

We finally made the move to the new forum software. (...)
    Please let me know if you see anything wrong.

Mike

congratulations_647907xkile7gbwb.gif

Congratulations, Mike!

Big effort, big success and finally big result!

Thanks a lot to Mike and all staff for the lovely new Forum!

Gemmenita :)

ps. This is a congrats message, I will let you know my test result later!;)

Last edited:

broglet

English - England
    in the old forum you could see which threads had had new posts added since you last opened them (the thread titles were in bold) - now all the thread titles are in bold - so how can you tell now?

KaRiNe_Fr

Français, French - France
    Congratulations, the transition seems to be well done now! :)

First thing I remark is I had to change my bookmark (as usercp leads now to a 404 not found, I changed it to http://forum.wordreference.com/watched/threads/all).

Second thing is my bookmark gets the icon of xenForo, which is not really meaningful (I would have expected the WR one).

These are details but I thought I should mention them. ;)

suzi br

English / England
    Hi
    Bravo Mike

This software is like another forum I use, and it now gives me the same problem as that one. It is fine on my PC but on this laptop the display size is awful,

When I have the zoom big enough to read the threads / headings ect the page is super wide. I have to scroll across to read messages. Or to read what I have written in the reply mode.

In the view which shows the thread titles and number of posts I cannot see the name of the last person to reply and number of replies at the same time as the thread title, there is a a big slab of space in the middle of the page.

Is this something to do with "your" settings for different readers or is it something I can adjust myself?

It makes it really hard to use, as it is. I would love the scale to be large enough fonts to read and narrow enough page to see a complete line in one screen width. And this is a wide screen laptop! It is a fairly new HP with touch screen.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.