Welcome to Wordreference forum

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
1. Welcome to Wordreference forum.
2. Welcome to forum Wordreference.
3. Welcome to the Wordreference forum.
4. Welcome to the forum Wordreference.

Hello,
I don't know the correct usage. Suppose that we welcome a new user. Would you please be kind enough to give me some guidance on that? Which is incorrect?

Thank you

• sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Thank you everybody.
    I have two questions:

1. Why is article [the] used? Wordreference is a specific forum and users know it already and it's something known. Then, according to what rule or logic [the] should be used?

2. What if I use a comma in sentence number four? I mean [4. Welcome to the forum, Wordreference.]. Can't it be correct even with the comma after the word [forum]?

Thank you

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    1. Why is article [the] used? Wordreference is a specific forum and users know it already and it's something known. Then, according to what rule or logic [the] should be used?
    If you look at the Home Page, you will see that the actual title is "the WordReference Forums", so I suppose the greeting should be "Welcome to the WordReference Forums." and, the word "the" being in the title, is sufficient to justify using it.

2. What if I use a comma in sentence number four? I mean [4. Welcome to the forum, Wordreference.]. Can't it be correct even with the comma after the word [forum]?[/QUOTE]No. That is very similar to "Welcome to the forum, sb70012." - Wordreference sounds as if it is someone's user name.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I have highlighted the reason why "the" is used. We use the definite article with things which are specific and identified. "Wordreference forum" is not a proper noun, in fact it is "forum" which is the noun, and "Wordreference" is a qualifier. Since we're talking about one particular forum (or one particular set of forums) out of many, we use the definite article.

rur1920

Russian
    If an article was used only when the user considered it necessary to point out the meaning it expressed, it would not be an article, but a demonstrative pronoun.
    Grammar is all like that: it consists of things that express information that people are obliged to express, whether they like it or not. Think plural number, for example: it is used whenever we are talking about a collection of things called the same, but does the speaker really need to point out each time that he is talking of many things of this kind? Certainly not always. Yet, you can't argue with grammar: you say "a frail of apples", not "a frail of apple", no matter what good meaning you want. Same also with tense. (Chinese, for example, does not have either grammatical tense or grammatical number).

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Everybody, thank you for answering.
    I have highlighted the reason why "the" is used. We use the definite article with things which are specific and identified. "Wordreference forum" is not a proper noun, in fact it is "forum" which is the noun, and "Wordreference" is a qualifier. Since we're talking about one particular forum (or one particular set of forums) out of many, we use the definite article.
    What if we didn't have the name [Wordreference]? How should we welcome if the forum doesn't have a name? I think on that time we can omit article [the]. Am I right?

I mean ==> Welcome to forum! ===> I think it's ok without article [the] because it has no name. Am I right?
    As [welcome to home] or [welcome to hospital], etc.

Thank you.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    No, you are wrong. In general nouns need an article or other determiner, unless they are names. So you would still say "Welcome to the (or our or this...) forum"

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I guess that what you're referring to there, Hermione, is Wordreference.com in the header bar. But that's the website address.

If you follow Loob's link in post #4, you'll find the actual name styled as WordReference Forums (as Parla also noted).

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >