welcome to/you are welcome to

colum4

China-Chinese
What the difference bewteen "welcome to " and "you are welcome to" ?
Such as, 1 Welcome to visit my home
2 You are welcome to visit my home

Or you think they are no difference?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    For me, only the second sentence sounds right. If you were just saying "Welcome to my home", that would be fine. However, you are saying "You are welcome to visit my home". In this sentence, I think "you are" is necessary. Your sentence sounds strangely incomplete without those words.

KatieMo

English - U.S.
    Yes,

If you said "Welcome to my home.", as Owlman5 suggests, you would use this phrase as a greeting to someone visiting your home.

If you said "You are welcome to visit my home.", you would use this phrase to invite someone to visit your home or to let them know that your home is open to them.

colum4

China-Chinese
    For me, only the second sentence sounds right. If you were just saying "Welcome to my home", that would be fine. However, you are saying "You are welcome to visit my home". In this sentence, I think "you are" is necessary. Your sentence sounds strangely incomplete without those words.
    Hello,
    Do you mean "Welcome to visit my home" is wrong? In my opinion,"Welcome to visit my home" is similar to ""Welcome to my home",is it right?

colum4

China-Chinese
    Yes,

If you said "Welcome to my home.", as Owlman5 suggests, you would use this phrase as a greeting to someone visiting your home.

If you said "You are welcome to visit my home.", you would use this phrase to invite someone to visit your home or to let them know that your home is open to them.
    Hi,
    if I use "You are welcome to my home", is there any difference between "You are welcome to my home" and "Welcome to my home" ?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    "Welcome to visit my home" is wrong simply because nobody says it. If you want a rule on this, you've come to the wrong language.

"You are welcome to my home" and "Welcome to my home" have essentially the same meaning. However, beware of saying "You are welcome to..." followed by a noun. This often means "Please take it away, I don't want it"!

colum4

China-Chinese
    "Welcome to visit my home" is wrong simply because nobody says it. If you want a rule on this, you've come to the wrong language.

"You are welcome to my home" and "Welcome to my home" have essentially the same meaning. However, beware of saying "You are welcome to..." followed by a noun. This often means "Please take it away, I don't want it"!
    Hello,
    You means,such as,"You are welcome to cigarette " means "please take the cigarette away,I don't want cigarette." ? In addition, is there difference between "You are welcome to play with me" and "Welcome to play with me" ? Thank you.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You might say:
    "You are welcome to a cigarette, they're in the box on the table."
    "You're welcome to those clothes, I don't wear them any more."

You shouldn't say: "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it." :eek: That means "Please take it away, I don't want it"!

But once again, we don't say "Welcome to <verb>". Always use "You are welcome to <verb>".

colum4

China-Chinese
    You might say:
    "You are welcome to a cigarette, they're in the box on the table."
    "You're welcome to those clothes, I don't wear them any more."

You shouldn't say: "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it." :eek: That means "Please take it away, I don't want it"!

But once again, we don't say "Welcome to <verb>". Always use "You are welcome to <verb>".
    Hi,
    Thanks for your help, it makes a lot sense ,but I don't understand the sentence "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it" . What does it mean? What do "you" and "it" represent? Thank you.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    An air hostess says to her passengers: "We will soon be landing. Welcome to China!"
    She mustn't say: "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it." That would mean "I don't like China, you can have it".

colum4

China-Chinese
    Hi,I am sorry I remains unclear to this structure
    Does “You're welcome to those clothes” in this sentence "You're welcome to those clothes, I don't wear them any more." have the same meaning with “you are welcome to it” in this sentence "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it." ? If not, how can I distinguish them when people use it? Is it the commom phrase? Thank you.

colum4

China-Chinese
    An air hostess says to her passengers: "We will soon be landing. Welcome to China!"
    She mustn't say: "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it." That would mean "I don't like China, you can have it".
    Hi,I am sorry I remains unclear to this structure
    Does “You're welcome to those clothes” in this sentence "You're welcome to those clothes, I don't wear them any more." have the same meaning with “you are welcome to it” in this sentence "We will soon be landing in China; you are welcome to it." ? If not, how can I distinguish them when people use it? Is it the commom phrase? Thank you.

< Previous | Next >