welcome/welcoming words

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
A man with large glasses and a graying mustache smiled. He introduced himself as Profe, which means teacher or professor in Spanish. Right away, his warm smile and welcoming words eased my fears. That year, Profe managed to get me to speak Spanish.

I wonder if I could say "welcome words" instead. If not, why not?
Second, could "managed to" be replaced by "tried to" without making a change in meaning? Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    His warm smile and welcome words eased my fears.
    He said things that I welcomed hearing from him. He might have said that there would be no rain for the next two weeks while I was camping in the mountains.

His warm smile and welcoming words eased my fears.
    He said things such as "Welcome to McKay's Highland Trekking Centre."

Profe tried to get me to speak Spanish.
    Profe gave me lessons in Spanish, perhaps. I may have learnt nothing.

Profe managed to get me to speak Spanish.
    Somehow, after that year, I was able to speak Spanish - thanks to Profe.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, panj, for the insightful and deep reply.
    I get the "welcoming" and "managed to" parts, but I still don't understand why "welome words" is interpreted the way you describe. Could you shed more light as for the reasons? Thanks again.

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    A man with large glasses and a graying mustache smiled. He introduced himself as Profe, which means teacher or professor in Spanish. Right away, his warm smile and welcoming words eased my fears. That year, Profe managed to get me to speak Spanish.

I wonder if I could say "welcome words" instead. If not, why not?
    To expand on what Panj has said

Welcome words would imply any words which you just like to be told or hear i.e. You are beautiful, You're clothes are lovely, etc.

Welcoming words would imply words used to welcome you and put you at ease. i.e. Come in, sit down, make yourself comfortable. etc.

Second, could "managed to" be replaced by "tried to" without making a change in meaning? Thanks.
    No, but you could change it to

"succeeded in getting me to..."

< Previous | Next >