Welcome

Palmer Kevince

Chinese / Mandarin
Hi everyone,

"Welcome to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life."

This sentence is shown on a religious website. Does it make sense? Here, welcome to do sth is correct? Or should we say "You're welcome to do sth"?

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    "You are welcome to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life." --- This sentence is what I expect to see in the situation you described, Palmer Kevince.

Your use of "welcome" in your first example is confusing and a little strange.

Palmer Kevince

Chinese / Mandarin
    "You are welcome to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life." --- This sentence is what I expect to see in the situation you described, Palmer Kevince.

Your use of "welcome" in your first example is confusing and a little strange.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. But I still have one question: Sometimes, I hear someone say, "We welcome you to do sth", is that right?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. "We welcome you to do X" is an ordinary thing to say. It is a polite formula that people use to tell other people that they are free to do something: We welcome you to take a pamphlet home with you. We welcome you to use our website in your search for spiritual enlightenment.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Maybe the writer of the sentence was trying - not very successfully - to combine a greeting with an invitation to use the verse of the day.
    - Welcome to our website.
    - You are welcome to use...

Packard

USA, English
    It is offered at the very end of the bible verse. It appears to be giving permission to use the verse in any way the reader wishes. Apparently a copyright exemption.

Find the Shepherd

The quote is shown at the very bottom of the page. I think "You are" is understood at the beginning of the sentence:

[...] more understanding of your own faults and shortcomings, you will be more eager to seek to satisfy God’s will, and you will not be passive, and will actively enter in. This will mean that you are a correct person.”

Welcome to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    "Welcome to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life."

Does the above mean:

(1) "You are appreciated to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life.
    (2) "We appreciate you to use our Bible Verse of the Day to enrich your spiritual life.

(1) or (2) or none?

Packard

USA, English
    That is indubitably the intention, but for me it doesn't work. Agreeing with HP in #11, "You are" needs to appear explicitly.
    I would not want anyone to think that I would have left off the "You are" from this sentence. I was simply making an observation about what I saw.

What led the early posters astray was that the "Welcome" sounded like an introduction to the verse, rather than a closing remark.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Neither. 'Appreciate/d' doesn't work here.

In BE the original sentence makes no sense. It would only work as 'You're welcome to use . . . '.
    I remember a sign read "Welcome to Mississippi", which works well. So I guess the form should have been "Welcome to (noun)". If it is a verb (like "Welcome to use") then it doesn't work and should be edited into "You're welcome to use..."

Packard

USA, English
    I remember a sign read "Welcome to Mississippi", which works well. So I guess the form should have been "Welcome to (noun)". If it is a verb (like "Welcome to use") then it doesn't work and should be edited into "You're welcome to use..."
    The placement of the quote at the end of the quote takes away the "welcome" as a greeting.

It is being used to mean "you are permitted to".

You are welcome to use our facilities at any time. (You are permitted to use our facilities at any time).

< Previous | Next >