Weld

< Previous | Next >

CriHart

Romanian
Hi,

I don't understand what weld means in this context. Can you help me?

"Yes (Media can be welded on the back side by thermic and inductive high frequency)"

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think it means welded, literally.
    ... thermic ... inductive high frequency ... are welding terms.

It doesn't make sense to me in relation to media, but then I don't know the context.

JSand4325

U.S. (English)
    Media is actually the plural of medium. When you think of it that way it makes more sense. You were probably thinking of media as in the news etc, but it can also refer to " An intervening substance through which something else is transmitted or carried on" such as the cables in a computer network.

thefreedictionary.com/medium

Hope this helps!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Taking into account that another CriHart thread is about PVC banner material, I guess that this relates to the ability of this material to be welded either to a supporting structure or to itself.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    We probably just ought to point out to CriHart that we must be very careful to distinguish between the back side (which is what she has correctly put here), which means the other side to the front side, and the backside or bottom, which is the part of one's person on which one sits down. Having media welded on the backside by thermic and inductive high frequency would be a painful process.

sarcie

English - Ireland
    We probably just ought to point out to CriHart that we must be very careful to distinguish between the back side (which is what she has correctly put here), which means the other side to the front side, and the backside or bottom, which is the part of one's person on which one sits down. Having media welded on the backside by thermic and inductive high frequency would be a painful process.
    Which is why several style guides for technical writing state that you should opt for "rear" or "rear side" where possible when describing the arse-end of a machine ;)

mjscott

American English
    Another problem: I would probably use rear for my hind-end, and save back side for the flip side of something--like the back side of a painting that you are hanging on the wall--or the back side of something you're welding. In dressmaking, the term back side is used as the term for the side that will no be showing on the outside.

< Previous | Next >