welded steel made of... iron?

< Previous | Next >

Gio77

Italian - Italy
Hello all!

I have the following doubt: if something is produced by means of a welding procedure, involving the use of iron, can one say that the product is made of welded iron, or would it sound odd to a native speaker?
Would it be perhaps more correct to talk in any case about welded steel, although we have to do with iron?

This because I googled both expressions and for "welded steel" in uk-sites I had 31.500 matches, while for "welded iron" just 229.

Thank you very much in advance!

• MissFit

"Welded iron," is fine. Don't say "welded steel" unless it's actually steel. Iron and steel are not exactly the same, of course. The difference in Google hits is probably just because iron is used less often than steel.

Wrought iron is not exactly the same as welded iron. Wrought iron is heated and then worked or "wrought" by bending and pounding--think of an old-fashioned blacksmith. Welding is connecting two pieces of metal by applying heat with a welding torch that melts them together. The finished product can be both--I used to have a garden gate that was made of pieces of wroght iron that were welded together.

Kelly B

USA English
    If I'm not mistaken, iron is very difficult to weld properly, and that's probably why the term doesn't appear very often.

I agree with MissFit (although there are many different ways of welding).

Giordano Bruno

English, England
    If you had googled "welded iron" in the early part of the nineteenth century, you would have found numerous hits. Now that steel is made relatively cheaply, iron is not generally used as a structural element.

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    Practically everything that we might call "iron" is in fact steel. That's why "welded iron" is very rare.

Wrought iron is a kind of steel (it contains carbon and possibly other substances).

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If you had googled "welded iron" in the early part of the nineteenth century, you would have found numerous hits. Now that steel is made relatively cheaply, iron is not generally used as a structural element.
    I think that is the point.
    Yes, you may say it is made of welded iron if that's what you mean.
    Similarly, you may say it is made of welded steel, welded aluminium, welded brass, welded gold ... etc.

It may be more appropriate to find a different description. For example, if MissFit wanted to sell her garden gate it would sound much more attractive if described as a wrought iron gate, not a welded iron gate. Welded iron sounds very industrial, wrought iron sounds decorative.

< Previous | Next >