welfare - wellbeing

stellasplendens

Français
Good afternoon,

What is the difference between welfare and wellbeing ?
For instance, if I want to write about : efforts for more justice and "bien-être" among the poorest social groups. Shall I use wellbeing here ?
Or, maybe is "welfare" better, because more related to official measures...
Thanks

• Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    It depends on what you want to say. My dictionary gives "welfare" and "well-being" as synonyms in one sense--"health, happiness, prosperity and well-being in general."

But "welfare" can also mean "financial and other assistance given to people in need".

stellasplendens

Français
    Actually, I want to say: bien-être, in the global context of fighting for insuring 'well-being/welfare?' to abandoned children, street children, in conflict with the law, orphans,... It is related to the objective of an NGO.
    I think welfare is best, as I read your comment. But I am still not sure.
    Thank you.

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    "We are going to carry on the fight to insure the well-being/welfare of abandoned children, street children. . ."

I think either one will do, though I prefer "welfare" for some reason. Not really sure why. It may be that in this sort of context "welfare" is generally used instead of "well-being". But I wouldn't swear to that, either. Either one is OK, though, as I say, I lean to "welfare" myself.

< Previous | Next >