welfare

< Previous | Next >
  • Mister Micawber

USA, English
    I realize that they are defined synonymously in the dictionaries, but I do not feel they are interchangeable here. Wellbeing (a contented state of being happy and healthy) is called for in your sentence, not welfare (which nowadays has connotations of protection of that same condition or against its deterioration).

Ecossaise

English
    In this context, I would choose "well-being".

Welfare has a broader sense of health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group

Ecossaise

English
    Laughter is more effective than any medicine in improving our welfare/well-being.

If you rephrase it as "Laughter is more effective than any medicine in helping us keep healthy", then "well-being" is clearly the more suitable word.

Of course, there is a saying "Laughter is the best medicine" which expresses the same concept.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Ecossaise.
    Laughter is the best medicine to improve our well-being, which is regarded as one of the most valuable welfares.

What about the above sentence? I made it to try out my understanding of the word welfare. Correct me if I'm wrong.

liliput

U.K. English
    I agree that welfare has a wider sense than well-being and that well-being is the term to use with regards to health.
    Laughter is the best medicine to improve our well-being, which is regarded as one of the most valuable welfares.
    This sentence has 3 problems:
    1) Medicine almost by definition improves our well-being.
    2) Welfare would not be used as a plural in this way. Perhaps you could say that well-being is the most important aspect of welfare.
    3) I agree with Ecossaise that it would be best to replace the whole sentence with "Laughter is the best medicine". This is such a common expression that to use a different sentence with the same meaning sounds odd.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I agree that welfare has a wider sense than well-being and that well-being is the term to use with regards to health.

This sentence has 3 problems:
    1) Medicine almost by definition improves our well-being.
    2) Welfare would not be used as a plural in this way. Perhaps you could say that well-being is the most important aspect of welfare.
    3) I agree with Ecossaise that it would be best to replace the whole sentence with "Laughter is the best medicine". This is such a common expression that to use a different sentence with the same meaning sounds odd.
    Thanks, liliput, for the correction.
    Now I'll try it again:

Laughter is the best medicine, and it can improve our well-being, which is the most important aspect of welfare.

< Previous | Next >