"Well-balanced" Vs "Unbalanced"

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Are the expressions, derived from "balanced", common/idiomatic in the contexts below? Please take a look.

1. Well-balanced: mentally stable, behaving in a normal way.

Ex.: John is a good professional He is always so sensible and a pretty well-balanced guy.

2. Unbalanced: not mentally stable, sometimes not behaving in a normal way.

Ex.: Jake is a good professional but he is a little unbalanced. That is a pity.

Thank you in advance!

• Xavier da Silva

Now, in 2016, I just heard a friend of mine who lives in the USA saying that "balanced" (unbalanced; well-balanced) isn't common (almost rare) in AmE in the examples I made in the O.P. Maybe it's just his experience. Maybe it's too formal for conversation in the USA.

But it'd be a good idea to have an American English comment on this post.

Let's wait for it.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    Now, in 2016, I just heard a friend of mine who lives in the USA saying that "balanced" (unbalanced; well-balanced) isn't common (almost rare) in AmE in the examples I made in the O.P. Maybe it's just his experience. Maybe it's too formal for conversation in the USA.

But it'd be a good idea to have an American English comment on this post.
    I think a well-balanced person has a wide variety of interests/knowledge - he likes both sports and art, both classical and rock music, both technology and nature, etc.

Xavier da Silva

Thank you for your answers.

I think a well-balanced person has a wide variety of interests/knowledge - he likes both sports and art, both classical and rock music, both technology and nature, etc.
    I would like to know what Americans use in place of "well-balanced" (= mentally stable, behaving in a normal way) in my example sentence.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It depends, since such a comment is likely to be made in response to a question or comment about the person; we don't normally say, "I want you to meet John; he's not mentally unstable." Among the possibilities are: mature, dependable, even-tempered, . . .

< Previous | Next >