well-behaved

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

A typical composite data service is an assembly of well-behaved and well-understood atomic activities and business rules deployed as a more functional service.

Could you please tell me the meaning of "well-behaved" in this sentence?

Best wishes

• difficult cuss

English England
    Normally it would mean obedient or rule-following etc it is often used to descibe children who do as they are told.

Moviefans

Chinese
    I feel puzzled at "business rules", why can it be mentioned together with "atomic activities"?

Do you understand the main idea of the sentence?
    I just understand the strucuture of it. Don't really understand what it talks about.

MissFit

I feel puzzled at "business rules", why can it be mentioned together with "atomic activities"?

I just understand the strucuture of it. Don't really understand what it talks about.
    I agree. "Business rules" and "atomic activities" seem very strange as a compound subject. I can't imagine what the context could be.

Maybe this data service does both scientific and business work. For example, say it's Ashland Chemical (I'm sure their program would be more chemically sophisticated, anyway...getting off topic). They might have a program that compiles data for their business while also holding the data from known reactions (or atomic activities...maybe....doesn't seem right...).

Or maybe they mean nuclear...Nuclear in the sense of being essential to the business. They probably mean "nuclear" rather than atomic. Like some routine could be essential to the business, which means it would be nuclear. It'll only put in the important activities and rules, not all the periphery.

JamesM

I believe "atomic activities" in this context refers to individual actions or data components that cannot be broken down further. It is the lowest level, the smallest step, of an activity, or the smallest discrete piece of data. It is a term used in Relational Database Methodology.

For example, a name field with a full name in it ("John Smith") carries two discrete pieces of data - First Name and Last Name. To organize this data atomically, it would be broken down into two data fields - First Name ("John") and Last Name ("Smith"). It could be re-organized through business rules into something called Full Name ("John Smith") or another called LastNameFirst, if you wish ("Smith, John").

This text appears to be a description of a computer program that provides a service to other programs. For example, an address collection service might pop up a window and collect name, address, and telephone information, applying business rules to the collection of the data - for example, validating the zip or postal code, country abbreviation, etc. - and returning the result to the calling program.

< Previous | Next >