well-being, bliss, and happiness

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
For her parents, the decision to have Ashley undergo these procedures was easy--they believe they acted on behalf of their daughter's well-being/happiness/bliss.

The above three words seem to me more or less the same, and I am curious to see if they all fit here. Are there any differences in meanings among them? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    For her parents, the decision to have Ashley undergo these procedures was easy--they believe they acted on behalf of their daughter's well-being/happiness/bliss.

The above three words seem to me more or less the same, and I am curious to see if they all fit here. Are there any differences in meanings among them? Thanks.
    Having read the story, I would only use "well-being". This child has the mind of a three-month-old and cannot, in my opinion, experience "happiness" or "bliss".

In a general sense, they are not really alike. "Well-being" is just that - well-being. "My well-being is being tended to by the nurses and doctors in the hospital but I am certainly not happy because it was a heart attack that put me here."

"Bliss" is happiness but to such an extent that one is almost euphoric. It is happiness to such a degree that it is utter joy.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Having read the story, I would only use "well-being". This child has the mind of a three-month-old and cannot, in my opinion, experience "happiness" or "bliss".

In a general sense, they are not really alike. "Well-being" is just that - well-being. "My well-being is being tended to by the nurses and doctors in the hospital but I am certainly not happy because it was a heart attack that put me here."

"Bliss" is happiness but to such an extent that one is almost euphoric. It is happiness to such a degree that it is utter joy.
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    In my dictionary, well-being consists of being healthy and happy, and I presume that's why it fits in your sample, but bliss and and happiness don't.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    That means "Although I am not happy, the doctors and nurses are endeavouring to enhance my well-being/the state of my heath."
    Btw, how would you define the word well-being with your English instinct and your own words? Thanks.

Joelline

American English
    Hi quietdandelion,

To me, a sense of well-being is a sense of contentment with ones being. One can feel financial, emotional, physical, social (among others) well-being: in each case, I believe that this means that the person is pleased with a certain aspect of his/her situation. If I have a feeling of financial well-being, then I am not worried or concerned or unhappy about my finances (though I may still hope to improve my financial situation--but, in the meantime, I'm feeling relatively pleased satisfied).

For me, happiness includes and goes beyond well-being: a sense of great pleasure or joy is added to the well-being.

Bliss is happiness beyond compare, extreme happiness, the highest degree of happiness.

< Previous | Next >