Well done / Done well

aprentice

Spanish, Catalan
Hi, here are two cases of which I don't feel secure I writed well:

A) "When this process is consistently well done, weaknesses should only persist if they are..."
B) "Suggest how to improve, highlighting the well done."

What do you think, "well done" or "done well"? Thanks much!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, here are two cases where I don't feel confident that I wrote themsecure I writed well:

A) "When this process is consistently well done, weaknesses should only persist if they are...":tick:
    B) "Suggest how to improve, highlighting the well done.":cross:

Your second sentence could be amended (depending on context) this way:

"Suggest how to improve, highling the tasks that have been well done"

laurahya

British English
    Hi, here are two cases [that] I am not sure I wrote well/correctly:

A) "When this process is consistently well done, weaknesses should only persist if they are..."
    B) "Suggest how to improve, highlighting the well done."

A is fine. You could also say done well, it doesn't matter.

B is ok, I would probably say highlighting what has been done well or highlighting what was done well though.

Matching Mole

England, English
    In A "done well" would be better, although I don't think "well done" is actually wrong.

In B I would have to ask for further context, because I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Do you mean highlight that which is good or correct? In that case "the well done" is not idiomatic, although I can see why you would think it was the right thing to say.

aprentice

Spanish, Catalan
    Thanks to you friends!

First of all, I apologize for not writing first in Word Office the explanatory text of my posts. I wont do it again (promised).

Now I understand better the way of using “well done” and “done well” (aside of restaurants ;) ). Here is how I liked best from your suggestions:

A) "When this process is consistently well done, weaknesses should only persist if they are..." NO CHANGES
    B) "Suggest how to improve, highlighting WHAT HAS BEEN done well." (matching mole, as you see I also need to make the second sentence as short as possible)

Thanks to you all again ;)

< Previous | Next >