well done to Ken

brian&me

Chinese - China
I want to share some of our students’ achievements with you. Firstly, Class 3A reached the final of the local Inter-school Science Competition. And then Ken Jackson, from the same class, came third in ... Well done to Ken and the rest of Class 3A!

(from an English textbook for junior high school students in China, published by Pearson Education and Beijing Normal University Press)

I wonder if I could replace well done to Ken and the rest of Class 3A with congratulations, Ken and the rest of Class 3A. And I'd like to know your ideas to paraphrase that sentence.

Many thanks in advance.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    You can congratulate them, yes. It does not mean exactly the same, though. There is a slight difference between commending and congratulating. :) Other encouraging or approving phrases would be, 'good work', 'keep up the good work', 'good job', etc.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Your suggested change is grammatical and idiomatic. If there is a separate part of those sentences of which you are unsure, perhaps they could be the focus of other discussions.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, friends.
    If there is a separate part of those sentences of which you are unsure, perhaps they could be the focus of other discussions.
    Hi, bibliolept. I don't quite understand your sentence, would you paraphrase it for me, please?

< Previous | Next >