Well, I ve done the shopping.

OaanaaMaria

Romanian
Can anyone help me, please?
What is the conventional implicature in the following exchanges:
A: Have you cleaned the kitchen and done the shopping?
B: Well, I ve done the shopping.
What conversational maxims are flouted in each case?
Thank you!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum OaanaaMaria. :)

Please explain what you mean by 'conversational maxims.'
    The conversation looks perfectly normal to me.

(Also, where did you see this? We ask people to name the source of any text.)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    You have only given us one exchange and one case, so 'exchanges' and 'in each case' implicate that this is a homework assignment. So you need to provide your answers first, according to forum rules.

OaanaaMaria

Romanian
    Welcome to the forum OaanaaMaria. :)

Please explain what you mean by 'conversational maxims.'
    The conversation looks perfectly normal to me.

(Also, where did you see this? We ask people to name the source of any text.)
    Hello. This is an exercise from an exam.
    Conversational maxims
    1. The maxim of quantity, where one tries to be as informative as one possibly can, and gives as much information as is needed, and no more.
    2. The maxim of quality, where one tries to be truthful, and does not give information that is false or that is not supported by evidence.
    3. The maxim of relation, where one tries to be relevant, and says things that are pertinent to the discussion.
    4. The maxim of manner, when one tries to be as clear, as brief, and as orderly as one can in what one says, and where one avoids obscurity and ambiguity
    Grice's Maxims
    But I think I know the answer now. The conversational implicature is a particularized voncersational implicature. And the conversational maxim that is flouted is the maxim of quantity.
    Thank you.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Okay, you wrote 'conventional implicature' in your first post, but I can't see one in that exchange. I think you have now realized you meant 'conversational implicature' (it's annoying that the two words are so similar), and there is one of those: B implicates "I haven't cleaned the kitchen". B doesn't answer all of the quantity A said.