well known 'that Japan is in East Asia'. [Adjective complement?]

pretty girl12

Spanish
Hi,

It is well known that Japan is in East Asia.

Is the noun clause "
that Japan is in East Asia" functions as an adjective complement?

Thanks.

• Scholiast

Greetings

t is well known that Japan is in East Asia.

Is the noun clause "
    that Japan is in East Asia" functions as an adjective complement?

Thanks.
    << Not pertinent. >>

"That Japan is in East Asia" is indeed grammatically a noun-clause: "That Japan is in East Asia is indisputable"; "that Japan is a beautiful country cannot be contested".

But an "adjective complement" would usually consist of a formulation such as "Japan is a beautiful country".

I'm sorry if this does not answer your question, but good luck anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

boozer

Bulgarian
    So, it functions as a subject, and it is an empty subject.
    No, it is a complement, I believe. It modifies 'well known'. Some might call it object complement even though I do not see 'well known' as an object. See bottom of this page.
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/aue/complmnt.html#obj.comp

I don't know what you mean by 'empty' subject - would that be what I call 'dummy' subject? :D Yes, we do have a dummy subject in this sentence and that is 'it'.

pretty girl12

Spanish
    I don't know what you mean by 'empty' subject - would that be what I call 'dummy' subject? :D Yes, we do have a dummy subject in this sentence and that is 'it'.
    Yes, a dummy subject.

The reason why I think it is a subject is as follows: That Japan is in East Asia is well known.

boozer

Bulgarian
    No, when you turn the sentence around all syntactic functions change... What is a subject in this last example is not a subject in the original sentence.

< Previous | Next >